Calculating the Speed of a Cricket Ball with Drag Force: Homework Problem

• Thread starter bennyq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of speed measurements in international cricket games and the drag force that affects the speed of the ball. The formula v = vie^(−kx) is used to determine the speed of the ball as it travels towards the wicket, and the variables of mass, radius, and terminal velocity are given for a standard cricket ball. The question of determining the drag coefficient and the speed of the ball when it hits the wicket is raised, with suggestions of using the drag force at terminal velocity to calculate the coefficient.
bennyq

Homework Statement

At international cricket games, it is commonplace to display on the scoreboard a speed for each bowl. Because the ball is subject to a drag force due to air proportional to the square of its speed given by R = kmv^2, it slows as it travels 20 m toward the wicket according to the formula v = vie^(−kx). Suppose the ball leaves the bowler's hand at 151 km/h. Ignore its vertical acceleration, and determine the speed of the ball when it hits the wicket. (For a cricket ball, assume the mass is 0.16 kg, the radius is 3.5 cm, and the terminal velocity is 40 m/s. The density of air is 1.2 kg/m3.)

Homework Equations

Apart from the equations i have tried R=0.5DpAv^2
but i don't know the drag coefficient!

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly i don't know where to start, i have tried googling a similar question also.
The problem is I cannot figure out R. If i knew drag coefficient i could work out k, then work out v over the distance

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the drag force at the termimal velocity? You can work out "k" using that information.

I worked drag force R out with R = -bV and using the above formal for R with a drag coefficient of .3 which i found online. Both gave a similar result. I got 133km/h

What is drag force and how does it affect the speed of a cricket ball?

Drag force is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air. In the case of a cricket ball, drag force is caused by air resistance and can significantly affect the speed of the ball.

How do you calculate the speed of a cricket ball with drag force?

The speed of a cricket ball with drag force can be calculated using the equation v = u + at - (0.5 * ρ * CD * A * v^2), where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of air, CD is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the ball.

What are the factors that affect the drag force on a cricket ball?

The factors that affect the drag force on a cricket ball include the velocity of the ball, the density of air, the drag coefficient, and the cross-sectional area of the ball. Other factors such as air temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the drag force.

How does the drag force on a cricket ball change with increasing velocity?

The drag force on a cricket ball increases with increasing velocity. This is because as the ball moves faster, it pushes more air out of the way, resulting in a larger drag force. At a certain point, the drag force will become equal to the force of gravity, and the ball will reach its maximum speed, known as terminal velocity.

Why is it important to consider drag force when calculating the speed of a cricket ball?

It is important to consider drag force when calculating the speed of a cricket ball because it can significantly affect the accuracy of the calculation. Neglecting drag force can result in an overestimation of the ball's speed and can lead to incorrect conclusions about the performance of the ball or the player throwing it.