1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry differentiation problem

1. Dec 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Differentiate the following
    [tex]cos^2 x[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]

\frac{d(cos^2 x)}{dx}

= 2 (-sin^{2-1} x).\frac{dx}{dx}

= 2 (-sin x).1

= -2 sin x

[/tex]

But the answer given is-
    [tex]
    -2 cos x sin x
    [/tex]

Can you please tell me what's wrong !!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should be more careful in applying the chain rule. There are many formulations, the way I prefer it is to let u = cos(x). Then you are asked for d(u2(x))/dx. According to the chain rule, this is
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx} u(x)^2 = \frac{d(u^2)}{du} \cdot \frac{du}{dx}[/tex]
    The first factor is 2u = 2 sin(x), but then you need to multiply du/dx, not dx/dx.

4. Dec 22, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Or another rule of thumb which I prefer is to always take the derivative of what's inside... I'll show you what I mean:

If we are to take the derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] we get [itex]nx^{n-1}[/itex]
    but behind the scenes you're also taking the derivative of x, but since this is 1, multiplying by 1 doesn't change anything.

Now if we let x be anything else, such as sinx then we have [itex](sinx)^n[/itex] and taking the derivative of this is the same as before, but this time the derivative of what's inside (in this case, sinx) is cosx so this makes a difference: [itex]n(sinx)^{n-1}.cosx[/itex]

But you also need to dig deeper and keep taking the derivative of what's inside, if there is something further inside.

e.g. [itex]\left(sin(1/x)\right)^n[/itex]
    Again, take the derivative by first applying the power rule, and then taking the derivative of sin(1/x) by using the trigo change, so cos(1/x) multiplies on the outside, but finally you also need to take the derivative of 1/x (this was also done behind the scenes in the 2nd example, we took the derivative of x, but again that's 1) so altogether we get:

[tex]n.\left(sin(1/x)\right)^{n-1}.cos(1/x).\frac{-1}{x^2}[/tex]

And you can of course simplify. Anyway, I know this is terribly set out but I hope you understand it :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook