Trigonometry elementary problem

In summary, by using the angle sum formula for sine and manipulating the equation to obtain a squared equation, it is possible to prove that 5sin theta - 3cos theta = +-3. The angle sum formula can also be used to find two values for theta.
sambarbarian

Homework Statement

If 3 sin theta + 5cos theta = 5 ... prove that 5sin theta - 3 cos theta = +- 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried many things here , mostly those including squares , because i need +-3 , but this one has me stumped :/

Physics news on Phys.org
sambarbarian said:

Homework Statement

If 3 sin theta + 5cos theta = 5 ... prove that 5sin theta - 3 cos theta = +- 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried many things here , mostly those including squares , because i need +-3 , but this one has me stumped :/

Are you familiar with this "trick": [itex]a\sin \theta + b\cos \theta = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}\sin(\theta + \arctan{\frac{b}{a}})[/itex]?

never heard of it

sambarbarian said:
never heard of it

It's basically the angle sum formula for sine. Try expanding [itex]R\sin(\theta + \alpha)[/itex] and compare coefficients to [itex]a \sin \theta + b \cos \theta[/itex].

can this question be solved without it ?>

sambarbarian said:
can this question be solved without it ?>

Not easily, I think. But why don't you want to try this? Haven't you covered the angle sum formula at all?

You can try writing [itex]5cosθ=5\sqrt{1-sin^2θ}[/itex]. Taking this term to RHS,
you will get an equation
[tex]3sinθ-5=-5\sqrt{1-sin^2θ}[/tex]
Square both the sides, the equation will be easy to solve and you will get two values for θ.

Pranav-Arora said:
You can try writing [itex]5cosθ=5\sqrt{1-sin^2θ}[/itex]. Taking this term to RHS,
you will get an equation
Square both the sides, the equation will be easy to solve and you will get two values for θ.
Very good ! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
you will get an equation

thank you! that did the trick

SammyS said:
Very good ! :smile:

Thank you SammyS! :smile:

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles.

What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent, which represent the ratios of the sides of a right triangle.

How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation to calculate distances, angles, and heights.

What are the main trigonometric identities?

The main trigonometric identities are Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, quotient identities, and even-odd identities.

What are the common types of problems in elementary trigonometry?

Common types of problems in elementary trigonometry include finding missing sides or angles of a right triangle, using trigonometric identities to simplify expressions, and solving word problems involving trigonometric concepts.