Trigonometry Engineering Waves proble

In summary, the student is seeking help understanding a solution on a past math paper. The solution involves finding the value of tan\alpha, which is determined to be 1 in the third quadrant. This leads to the value of \alpha being 5\pi/4. The conversation also discusses the quadrant ranges in terms of pi and how they relate to the solution.
andycampbell1

Homework Statement

Hi

I am doing a maths past paper and I would like some help to understand where part of the solution came from. The part I do not understand is the bit at the end which says tan[tex]\alpha[/tex] = 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/4. It would be great if someone could help me understand where this came from.

The question is

y = sin t - cos t in the form A cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\alpha[/tex])

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is

y=sin t -cos t = A cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\alpha[/tex])
= A cos t cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] - A sin t sin [tex]\alpha[/tex]

A cos [tex]\alpha[/tex] = -1
- A sin [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 1

Squaring the above equations and adding side by side implies that A = [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Dividing the above equations side by side gives

tan [tex]\alpha[/tex]= 1

tan is positive in the first and third quadrant. We choose the third quadrant since from the above equation sin and cos are negative.

Hence [tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\pi[/tex]tan-1 = 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/4

y= sin t - cos t = [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]cos(t+ 5[tex]\pi[/tex]/4)

What I do not understand is where did 5[tex]\pi[/tex] come from? I have checked my notes and it does not mention anything about where pi comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi andy! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and a pi: π and an omega: ω and a square-root: √ :wink:)

tan(π/4) = tan(45°) = 1

tan(π + x) = tanx, so tan(π + π/4) = 1 also, ie tan(5π/4) = 1 :smile:

Thanks. If I was using the cast rule does each quadrant have its own value of pi? I get the first part but I don't get the second line. Sorry ha I'm just hopeless at trigonometry.

andycampbell1 said:
Thanks. If I was using the cast rule does each quadrant have its own value of pi? I get the first part but I don't get the second line. Sorry ha I'm just hopeless at trigonometry.

You just said you have chosen the third quadrant therefore pi + pi/4 is the value you are looking for because it's in the third quadrant.

I know how to work out what quadrant to put tan in but. I do not know what each quadrant represents in terms of pi. Like u said pi in the 3rd quadrant = pi
+ pi/4. What would the other quadrants wqual

I know how to work out what quadrant to put tan in but. I do not know what each quadrant represents in terms of pi. Like u said pi in the 3rd quadrant = pi
+ pi/4. What would the other quadrants equal? The solution I posted came with the past paper I am just trying to make sense of it.

Each quadrant has 90o (or [tex]\pi/2[/tex] radians). The quadrant ranges are:

First quadrant ranges from 0 to [tex]\pi/2[/tex]
The second from [tex]\pi/2[/tex] to [tex]\pi[/tex]
The third from [tex]\pi[/tex] to [tex]3\pi/2[/tex]
The fourth from [tex]3\pi/2[/tex] to [tex]2\pi[/tex]

Thanks, from the examples I have the quadrant values make them make sense to me now, thanks for your help.

Question 1: What is Trigonometry Engineering Waves problem?

Trigonometry Engineering Waves problem is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of waves in the context of engineering applications. It involves the use of trigonometric functions and equations to analyze and solve problems related to wave phenomena.

Question 2: How is Trigonometry used in Engineering Waves problems?

Trigonometry is used in Engineering Waves problems to describe and analyze the behavior of waves in various engineering applications such as sound, light, and water waves. It helps in determining the amplitude, frequency, and wavelength of waves, as well as their interference and diffraction patterns.

Question 3: What are some common applications of Trigonometry Engineering Waves problems?

Some common applications of Trigonometry Engineering Waves problems include designing and optimizing the performance of musical instruments, analyzing the behavior of sound waves in architectural acoustics, and studying the properties of electromagnetic waves in communication systems.

Question 4: What are the key concepts in Trigonometry Engineering Waves problems?

The key concepts in Trigonometry Engineering Waves problems include wave properties such as amplitude, frequency, wavelength, and speed, as well as wave equations such as the wave equation, the Doppler effect equation, and the Snell's law of refraction.

Question 5: How can I improve my understanding of Trigonometry Engineering Waves problems?

To improve your understanding of Trigonometry Engineering Waves problems, it is important to practice solving various types of problems and familiarize yourself with the different concepts and equations. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources, and apply your knowledge to real-world applications.