1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry - How to solve this equation and find the solutions.

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    Solve: sin^2x = (sinx)(cosx)
    0 < x < 2pi

Find exact solutions.

Okay, so I got 0, pi/4, but just wasn't sure how to do this...

I know you bring the sinxcosx to the other side, making it

sin^2x - sinxcosx = 0

...and then I tried factoring out sinx leaving me with sinx(sinx - cosx). That's where I got lost. So sinx is 0 at 0 and pi on the unit circle, so two solutions are 0 and pi, but what on earth do I do with sinx - cosx? That's when I started thinking about possible other identities that could help me out, but each left me with more craziness on my page!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

[itex]\sin x(\sin x - \cos x) = 0[/itex]

If [itex]a*b=0[/itex] then either a = 0 OR b = 0 (or both can be zero).

You've covered the first part (equating [itex]\sin x[/itex] to zero) and found all the solutions).

For the second part, equate [itex]\sin x - \cos x = 0[/itex].

The easiest way to go from here is to divide throughout by [itex]\cos x[/itex] then rearrange the equation. But take care that by doing this, you're disallowing solutions that make [itex]\cos x = 0[/itex] (because then you'd be dividing by 0). So check that none of those satisfy the original equation.

EDIT: In this case, it's not strictly necessary to do this (the check I mentioned), but it's good practice when an equation is solved by cancelling out factors from both sides (rather than factorising the entire expression).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  4. Jan 17, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another way to solve

  cos(x) - sin(x) = 0

is to multiply both sides by cos(x) + sin(x). Then recognize the identity for cos(2x). With this method you have to check for extraneous solutions.

(Next someone will suggest the exact way to solve this.)

5. Jan 17, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Well, OK, if you twist my arm. :biggrin:

[itex]\sin x - \cos x = 0 \Rightarrow \sqrt{2}\sin(x - \frac{\pi}{4}) = 0 \Rightarrow \sin(x - \frac{\pi}{4}) = 0[/itex]

6. Jan 17, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation sinx-cosx =0 is equivalent with sinx=cosx. There are two angles between 0 and 2pi having equal sine and cosine.

ehild

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook