1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry Identity problem I been trying to solve all day

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    solve 3cos(x) + 3 = 2 sin^2(x) where 0 <= x < 2pi

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    3(cos(x) + 1) = 2 sin^2(x)
    3(cos(x) + 1) = 2 (1- cos^2(x))
    I've tried this variation, and a couple others but it just does not pan out. Please help.

Oh yeah we have a real uninformative book.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2009 #2
    Don't factor out the 3 on the left side. Instead, distribute the right side, and move everything to the left side. After doing that, do you recognize the equation?

4. Apr 23, 2009 #3
    OK so I get the following
    3 cos(x) + 3 = 2 - 2 cos^2(x)
    3 cos(x) + 1 + 2 cos^2(x)=0
    I tried this variation before, but I was unsure of what to do with the 1+2 cos^2(x) part. or maybe i'm just doing something wrong with the distribution and movement of the right side.

5. Apr 23, 2009 #4
    hold on I think I understand now.
    (3 cos(x)+1)(2cos^2(x))= 0, the solve those two for 0

6. Apr 23, 2009 #5
    No no no, that's not right. It's best if you put the equation in "standard form" first, like this:
    2cos^2(x) + 3 cos(x) + 1 = 0
    Do you see what to do now?

7. Apr 23, 2009 #6
    wow. My head was so wrapped up in Identities I didn't even think to factor them in standard form
    (cos +1)(2cos+1)=0
    Thank you for shining a light through this fogged up brain of mine

8. Apr 23, 2009 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Althought the correct approach has already been pointed out, the equation above deserves a further comment. You can't get to the equation above from the one you showed in a previous post:
    If you multiply out your factored form, you get only two terms, not the three shown just above.

9. Apr 23, 2009 #8
    Yeah I see what you mean Mark44, Teachers always tell you to double check doing what you just did. Maybe I need to start doing that more.

10. Apr 24, 2009 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, maybe you should, especially when you're in the early stages of learning something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook