Trigonometry question solving help

• Thread starter Rockefeller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
There may be other methods to solve this problem, but this is a valid and correct approach. Keep up the good work!
Rockefeller

Homework Statement

Use the algebraic method to write √2 sin x - √2 cos x in the form
kcos(x + ϕ) where k>0, 0≤ ϕ ≤ 2π

Homework Equations

auxiliary form??

The Attempt at a Solution

my working out:

1st:

A= √2 B= -√2

K = √a^2 + b^2

= √(√2)^2 + (-√2)^2

= √2+2 = √4 = 2 therefore k = 2

2nd: find ϕ

let √2 sin - √2 cos x = k cos (x+ϕ )

= k [ cosx cosϕ - sinx sinϕ ]

therefore √2 sinx - √2 cosx = kcosx cosϕ -ksinx sinϕ

equate: sinx => √2 = - ksinϕ

sinϕ = - √2/k

therfore sinϕ = - √2/2 (k = 2)

cosx => -√2 = kcosϕ

cos ϕ = -√2/K

cos ϕ= -√2/√2

sinϕ = -√2/√2 < 0 therefore ϕ in 3rd quadrant

cosϕ = -√2/√2 < 0 therefore ϕ in 3rd quadrant

tan x = -1

x tan ^-1 (1) = 45

= 225. π/180

ϕ = 5π/4

therefore √2sinx--√2cosx = k cos(x+ϕ)

= √2sinx - √2cosx = 2cos (x + 5π/4)

therefore 2cos (x+ 5π/4)

is this correct??
and is there any easier way to show this or solve this ?? if so can u show me the full method

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome!

looks good to me

for your question. It appears that you have correctly solved the trigonometry problem using the algebraic method. However, there is a more efficient and straightforward way to solve this problem using trigonometric identities.

First, rewrite the expression as:

√2 sin x - √2 cos x = √2 (sin x - cos x)

Then, using the trigonometric identity sin(x + π/4) = √2/2(cos x + sin x), we can rewrite the expression as:

√2 (sin x - cos x) = √2 (sin x - cos x) sin (x + π/4)

= √2 (sin x - cos x) sin x cos (π/4) + √2 (sin x - cos x) cos x sin (π/4)

= √2 (sin x - cos x) (√2/2) + √2 (sin x - cos x) (-√2/2)

= √2 (sin x - cos x) (-√2)

= -2 (sin x - cos x)

= 2 (cos x - sin x)

= 2 cos (x - π/4)

Therefore, the expression is in the form k cos (x + ϕ) where k = 2 and ϕ = -π/4, which satisfies the given conditions of k>0 and 0≤ ϕ ≤ 2π.

In summary, the expression √2 sin x - √2 cos x can be written as 2 cos (x - π/4) using trigonometric identities, which is a simpler and more efficient method than the algebraic method you used. I hope this helps!

1. What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it is used in many real-life applications, such as engineering, navigation, and physics. It also serves as the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts.

2. How do I solve trigonometry problems?

To solve a trigonometry problem, you need to identify the given angles and sides of the triangle and determine which trigonometric function (sine, cosine, or tangent) to use. Then, use the corresponding formula to find the missing side or angle. It is important to draw a clear diagram and use the correct units for your answer.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The three basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

4. How do I use the unit circle to solve trigonometry problems?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used in trigonometry to find the values of trigonometric functions for any angle. By memorizing the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for common angles on the unit circle, you can use them to solve more complex trigonometry problems.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometry problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometry problems include using the wrong formula, using the wrong units for your answer, and not properly labeling your diagram. It is also important to pay attention to the given information and use the correct trigonometric function for the given problem.