Triple integrating cylindrical coordinates?

Homework Statement

Integrate the function f(x,y,z)=−4x+3y over the solid given by the figure below, if P = (5,1,0) and Q = (-5,1,2).

[PLAIN]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/958/sfig1681g1.gif [Broken]

Homework Equations

x=rcos([tex]\theta[/tex])
y=rsin([tex]\theta[/tex])
r=sqrt(x^2+y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i converted it into cylindracl coordinates and got

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] -4rcos([tex]\theta[/tex])+3rsin([tex]\theta[/tex]) r dzdrd[tex]\theta[/tex]

limits were arctan(-1/5)<[tex]\theta[/tex]<arctan(1/5), 0<z<2, 0<r<[tex]\sqrt{26}[/tex]

after integrating i got

-(8/3)(26^(3/2))sin(atan(1/5))-(2)(26^(3/2))cos(atan(1/5))+(8/3)(26^(3/2))sin(atan(-1/5))+(2)(26^(3/2))cos(atan(-1/5))

but apparently that is wrong. I need help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Your setup looks good. I didn't work out the integral to see if you are correct or not, but I wonder if you are aware that you can simplify your sine and cosine of the arctan angles. Draw a picture of those two angles and put in their sine and cosine in your answer. Maybe it is correct and you don't know it. Or maybe not.

i have the same problem and I can't seem to get the right answer .. i'm entering the answer in so it doesn't really matter if it's simplified or not

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Upon looking more carefully, your theta limits are not correct. Rember that arctan(x) returns a negative angle if x < 0. Your angle needs to go from the first quadrant to the second. So your lower limit would be arctan(1/5) and your upper limit would be pi - arctan(1/5).

Maple is giving an answer of 1040 if I didn't make any mistakes.