Tripling fundemental frequency

• Thread starter Strbarrytree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the question asks how far from the lower fixed end of a bass violin string should fingers be placed to produce a fundamental frequency three times as great as the original. One approach is to use the formula v = f*w to calculate the speed of sound, while another is to disregard the length of the string and use the formula v/2l. The latter may not be relevant as it does not consider the actual behavior of the string. It may be more accurate to reduce the transit time to 1/3 of the original by shortening the excited section of the string. Another option is to bow the string at 1/6 of the length and dampen the fundamental and second harmonics with a finger at the 1
Strbarrytree
So the question goes like this- The fundamental frequency of a bass violin string is 1045 Hz and occurs when the string is 0.900 m long. How far from the lower fixed end of the bass violin should you place your fingers to allow the string to vibrate at a fundamental frequency 3 times as great?

I say you take (2*.9)*1045 to get 1881 m/s because of v=f*w, then you take (1881/(1045*3))/2 to get .3 because of f=v/2l, and .3 would be the answer which would make sense since .3=(1/3).9

My teacher who is a smart man says you would disregard the information you got about the length of the string (the 0.900 m) and just take (340(speed of sound in air)/(3*1045))/2 or something like that he got like .84 or .084 which doesn't add up to the equation I just said, but that's what he said to do because he said it has to travel through air so we can hear it.

I think that that is irrelevant because it is not asking for how we perceive the frequency but rather what the string is actually doing. So I just kinda want an answer to know whose right so if this is on my text I know what to do. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The resonant frequency of a string is independent of the air surrounding the string.

The weight or loading of a string per unit length will be constant, we assume the tension in the string also remains constant. You can analyse that string as a transmission line with a fixed velocity factor supporting a standing wave.

To get three times the frequency you must reduce the transit time to 1/3 of the original. That says the excited section of the string needs to be only 1/3 as long.

An alternative might be to bow it at 1/6 of the length while killing the fundamental and second harmonics with a finger at the 1/3 point. Then there would be three cycles of third harmonic wave propagating on the full length of the line or string.

1. What is "tripling fundamental frequency"?

"Tripling fundamental frequency" refers to the process of increasing the frequency of a sound signal by three times its original value. This results in a higher-pitched sound.

2. How is "tripling fundamental frequency" achieved in sound signals?

"Tripling fundamental frequency" can be achieved through a process called frequency modulation, where the original signal is multiplied by three to increase its frequency.

3. What are the potential applications of "tripling fundamental frequency"?

One application of "tripling fundamental frequency" is in music production, where it can be used to create higher-pitched sounds and add variety to a composition. It can also be used in telecommunications to transmit data at higher frequencies.

4. What are the potential challenges or limitations of "tripling fundamental frequency"?

One potential challenge of "tripling fundamental frequency" is that it can distort the original sound signal and result in a sound that is not true to the original source. Additionally, it may require specialized equipment or techniques to achieve accurately.

5. How does "tripling fundamental frequency" differ from doubling or halving a frequency?

"Tripling fundamental frequency" differs from doubling or halving a frequency in that it results in a higher-pitched sound that is three times the original frequency. Doubling or halving a frequency would result in a sound that is only twice or half the original frequency, respectively.