1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tripling fundemental frequency

1. Oct 3, 2009 #1
    So the question goes like this- The fundamental frequency of a bass violin string is 1045 Hz and occurs when the string is 0.900 m long. How far from the lower fixed end of the bass violin should you place your fingers to allow the string to vibrate at a fundamental frequency 3 times as great?

I say you take (2*.9)*1045 to get 1881 m/s because of v=f*w, then you take (1881/(1045*3))/2 to get .3 because of f=v/2l, and .3 would be the answer which would make sense since .3=(1/3).9

My teacher who is a smart man says you would disregard the information you got about the length of the string (the 0.900 m) and just take (340(speed of sound in air)/(3*1045))/2 or something like that he got like .84 or .084 which doesn't add up to the equation I just said, but that's what he said to do because he said it has to travel through air so we can hear it.

I think that that is irrelevant because it is not asking for how we perceive the frequency but rather what the string is actually doing. So I just kinda want an answer to know whose right so if this is on my text I know what to do. Thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted