Troll physics: Solar cell and LED in series

In summary, Jesse's brother and he were playing around with a mini solar cell and an LED and saw that even an LED produces about .5 V in the cell. When Jesse asked his brother if he could take a cell that produces 2 V and focus it around an LED and see if he would get an LED that is constantly powered, his brother said no, because the conversion of energy into light is not 100-% efficient. Additionally, solar cells break down quickly, so something like this wouldn't last very long.
tragicmuffin
So today my brother and I were playing with a mini solar cell that I just got, watching the voltage change with a multimeter, and seeing how even an LED would produce about .5 V in the cell, when he posed a question:

If you were to take a solar cell (i.e. photodiode) capable of producing something like 2 V when hit by an LED, and focus it around an LED that it is connected in series with, put the whole thing in a completely dark box, and "prime" the cell by shining a different LED at it, would you end up with an LED powered perpetually by its own light?

My guess would be no, but I thought about this for a while and couldn't come up with a good reason why not. I know there's something I'm missing since I just don't know enough about diodes, and I'm curious as to what. I know a little about pn junctions and electron/hole travel, but not much more than that.

I've been learning about electronics and building my own circuits for a few years now, and I'm slowly gaining a better understanding of electricity and circuitry, but I'm still a novice.

Can anyone give me an explanation of the interactions going on in this scenario?

Thanks,
Jesse

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. None of your components are 100% efficient.

i'm not entirely sure about this but consider this scenario
suppose you have a box whose inner walls are full of perfect mirrors, you shine a light beam in the box and quickly close it before the light can escape. the photon hence remains trapped &bouncing within the box. in a sense there is light in the box, always & forever, but the total energy is finite.
however if you want to see the light you will have to open the box and let the light escape, then it's no longer perpetual since energy is lost.
i believe it is the same case with your led problem, as long as energy is lost there is no perpetual lighting

Expanding on what Drakkith said; the conversion of light energy into electrical energy in the solar cell isn't 100-% efficient, similarly the conversion of electrical energy into light energy in the LED isn't 100-% efficient. For these reasons, your "self-powered" system would quickly die out.

A good analogy is the so-called Newton's[/PLAIN] cradle. The cradle is "primed" by you lifting one of the end balls and the balls transfer energy and momentum in a periodic fashion. However, the system is not 100-% efficient due to air resistance, loss of energy into sound and heat, etc. -- and so the cradle eventually comes to a stop.

Sure, both systems above would run in perpetuity if the processes were 100-% efficient; however, the science of thermodynamics tells us that no real physical processes can be 100-% efficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you could make it absolutely 100% efficient, such that in principle this worked. Then if you peeked into your "dark box" to see if it worked, the light that escaped to allow you to see it would then drain off the light needed to keep it working.

Of course, as others have said, this kind of efficiency is not even in principle possible.

Thanks for the responses.
I figured there would be a lot of efficiency issues, I just wondered if I was missing anything basic about how the electricity flowed through the system that would somehow diminish the effect.

The reason I brought up the dark box is because I didn't want any extra light powering the photodiode. In practice, an LED shown at the cell reads .5 V even though clearly not all of the LED's light is hitting it (though, I know other light is getting in too). So I thought if some fraction of the light output by the LED was enough to power it through the cell, there would still be light to be seen.

I guess I see that I was thinking too much about voltage and current and not enough about energy.
If I understand correctly now, all energy absorbed by the cell is transmitted to the LED, which in turn puts that energy right back into the cell, so with no losses, this would be an endless cycling of the same energy (in a sense).

Of course, there are always losses, but the thought experiment is an interesting one anyway, and not one I've heard before.
I've also heard that solar cells break down rather quickly, so something like this wouldn't last long anyway.

Yes, when I made the point about peeking at photons I also neglected the idea of testing with a voltmeter. Yet the same principle applies. Attaching a voltmeter would consume power, draining the energy the LED needs to produce light.

tragicmuffin said:
I've also heard that solar cells break down rather quickly, so something like this wouldn't last long anyway.

Not sure where you heard that one from. Modern solar cells last several decades if I remember correctly.

Real components aren't actually that efficient, but as an idealized case you can picture LED working by having a single electron go down 1V barrier and emit a single photon. While the photovoltaic cell works backwards. It absorbs that one photon and raises electron 1V across the potential difference. If you have 2V from your solar battery, it is actually at least two cells in series, meaning it will take two photons to raise an electron 2V. So for each electron that passes through your circuit, you consume 2 photons and produce 1. So the approach breaks down here already, and we haven't even factored in the losses yet.

1. How does a solar cell and LED work in series?

A solar cell is a device that converts sunlight into electricity through the photovoltaic effect. When light hits the solar cell, it creates an electric field that allows electrons to flow, generating an electrical current. An LED (light-emitting diode) is a semiconductor device that emits light when a current passes through it. When connected in series, the solar cell acts as a power source for the LED, providing the necessary current to light it up.

2. What happens if I connect the solar cell and LED in parallel instead of series?

If you connect the solar cell and LED in parallel, the solar cell will still generate electricity, but the LED will not light up. This is because when connected in parallel, the current will be divided between the two components, and the LED will not receive enough current to turn on.

3. Can I use any type of LED with the solar cell in series?

Yes, you can use any type of LED with the solar cell as long as the forward voltage of the LED is lower than the output voltage of the solar cell. If the forward voltage is higher, the LED will not turn on.

4. What happens if I cover the solar cell with a material that blocks sunlight?

If you cover the solar cell with a material that blocks sunlight, the solar cell will not be able to generate electricity, and the LED will not light up. This is because the photovoltaic effect requires sunlight to generate electricity.

5. Can I use this setup to power other electronic devices?

While this setup can power an LED, it may not be enough to power other electronic devices. The output voltage and current of a solar cell are relatively low, and most electronic devices require higher values to function. Additionally, the solar cell will only generate electricity when exposed to sunlight, making it difficult to use as a consistent power source for other devices.