Trouble finding F(x) for a particle moving on a horizontal plane

In summary, a particle of mass m moves along a frictionless, horizontal plane with a speed given by v(x)=k/x, where x is its distance from the origin and k is a positive constant. Using the equations F(x)=m\ddot{x} and \ddot{x}=\frac{d\dot{x}}{dt}=\frac{dx}{dt} \frac{d\dot{x}}{dx}=v\frac{dv}{dx}, we can find the force F(x) to which the particle is subject. By differentiating v(x)=k/x, we get v'(x)=-k/x^2, which leads to F(x)=-mvk/x^2. Simplifying further
astenroo

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves along a frictionless, horizontal plane with a speed given by v(x)=k/x, where x is its distance from the origin and k is a positive constant. Find the force F(x) to which the particle is subject.

Homework Equations

F(x)=m[tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{x}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{d\dot{x}}{dt}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] [tex]\frac{d\dot{x}}{dx}[/tex]=v[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So i figured, if i differentiate v(x)=k/x I end up with v'(x)=-k/x^2, so F(x)= m[tex]\ddot{x}[/tex] and if I substitute my expression for [tex]\ddot{x}[/tex] I end up with F(x)=-mvk/x^2. Why do I get the feeling I'm all wrong about this one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi astenroo! :smile:
astenroo said:
… I end up with F(x)=-mvk/x^2. Why do I get the feeling I'm all wrong about this one?

dunno :confused:

looks ok … now get rid of the v, to make F a function of x :smile:

Remember that v = k/x. Plug that back into your expression for F(x).

Heh, I actually suck at calculus, so when I end up with a fairly straight forward solution, I get the feeling I've done something wrong :) Calculus cannot be simple :D

So, my first attempt was F(x)=-mvk/x^2, and if v(x)=k/x then F(x)=-mk^2/x^3.

Thanks for the hints.

btw, note that vdv/dx can also be written d/dx (1/2 v2) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
btw, note that vdv/dx can also be written d/dx (1/2 v2) :wink:

Heh, so true. Thank you :)

1. What does F(x) represent in this scenario?

F(x) represents the force acting on the particle in the horizontal direction.

2. Why is it important to find F(x) for a particle on a horizontal plane?

Finding F(x) allows us to understand the motion of the particle and the factors that influence it, such as friction, gravity, and applied forces.

3. How can F(x) be determined for a particle on a horizontal plane?

F(x) can be determined by using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By measuring the particle's acceleration and mass, we can calculate the force acting on it.

4. What are some common challenges in finding F(x) for a particle on a horizontal plane?

One common challenge is accounting for all the forces acting on the particle, including any external forces that may be present. Another challenge is accurately measuring the particle's acceleration and mass.

5. How can F(x) help us predict the future motion of the particle on a horizontal plane?

By understanding the forces acting on the particle, we can use F(x) to predict its future motion and make informed decisions about how to manipulate the particle's motion, such as by applying a force in a certain direction.