Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble opening a .tif file...

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hello PF! Last night I was working on something use Autodesk Sketchbook Pro. Since I use layers, I save WIPs using a .tif extension, as this is what Sketchbook supports. Short story shorter, the computer crashed. As of now, the file is still in the location where it was saved, yet it cannot be opened. When I try to open it, a popup window appears saying that Sketchbook can’t open the file because it’s not a valid image, its format or its size is not supported, or I may not have read permission for it. I can’t open the file with Photoshop or even view it with Windows Photo Viewer, either.

The thing I was working on is due on Thursday, so I need to know if the file can be fixed (and how...?). Otherwise, I’m going to have to start over and most likely change it entirely to account for time (ouch).

Thanks, PQ

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2
  4. Dec 12, 2016 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Also check the file size to see if there's content in it. Many times when a file is corrupt its because the editing program was trying to write data to it during the crash. If the file has 0 bytes or a characteristically small number for tiff files like 50 or 100 bytes (ie <1K) then you've probably lost everything in it and recovery may not work (but you can always hope).

So I imagine you don't have a backup anywhere but if you've emailed it to anyone then you could get a version back from your email.

5. Dec 12, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hey quarky, I agree w/ the others that it sounds exactly like a file corruption but some programs do an autosave of your work so there may be a recoverable copy around if the one you see isn't recoverable.

6. Dec 12, 2016 #5

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks, luckily the file size reads 2.73 MB, so I guess not everything is lost. I'm just waiting for Sketchbook to finish updating and then I'll try recovery.
    Stupid me for not having a backup anywhere. I did, in fact, email a basic draft to someone, but at this point I don't have any time to make use of it.

7. Dec 12, 2016 #6

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hey, phinds, unfortunately Sketchbook does not autosave. It's a very basic program. Currently regretting not using Photoshop for this instead....

8. Dec 12, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah, bummer.

9. Dec 12, 2016 #8

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Okay, I'm guessing that I'm never going to get this file back? :cry:
    tumblr_oi31rkWqrN1vf8td0o1_500.png

10. Dec 12, 2016 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure you are, you just have to completely recreate it :frown:

11. Dec 12, 2016 #10

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ughhh, this sucks so bad.

Thanks a lot anyways, guys! I appreciate your time immensely. :smile:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  12. Dec 13, 2016 #11
  13. Dec 13, 2016 #12
    With some luck you might be able to open the file and be able to view some of the original image, but the image may have lost it's editing/layers. Best bet is to try other image editing software, some may overlook this error and display any remaining data...! Also you could try converting the file from .tif to .psd, .jpg, .gif..some options you will lose layer editing but with the original image as a reference at least you will have your original piece to work from...!

14. Dec 14, 2016 #13

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I already tried opening it up with Photoshop CC, but no dice. Not sure how to properly change the file extension without opening up the image somewhere, either.

But, hey, thanks :) I'm just going to accept the everything's gone for good.

15. Dec 14, 2016 #14
    Using either

For PC - Graphics Converter Pro - http://www.iconcool.com/graphics-converter.htm
    For Mac - GraphicConverter - https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/

Open your image file and if your lucky, it will and then either save as in original file format or save/export in a format of your choice. GraphicConverter is pretty good and I've used a few times, conversion, tricky to open files [damaged resources]. Graphics Converter Pro [not used] looks similar and should llow you to do the same..!

16. Dec 14, 2016 #15

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks, mate, I'll look into this for next time. :smile:

17. Dec 14, 2016 #16
    There shouldn't be a next time, USB drives are cheap. :)

18. Dec 19, 2016 #17

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

I use the basic free version. You may be able to open the files using software from http://www.libtiff.org/, not that doing it now will help since your deadline is tomorrow...

19. Dec 20, 2016 #18

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Haha, thanks anyways :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted