1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble understanding Continuity

1. Jun 8, 2008 #1
    Hey folks,
    I have this one problem that seems unclear to me:

Show that the function f is continuous at (0,0) for
    f(x,y) = ysin(1/x) if (x,y) do not equal (0,0)..........and 0 if (x,y) = (0,0)

I'm thinking though, as with single variable calc, f is continuous at (a,b) provided that f(a,b) exists right? Therefore the top function is not continuous at (0,0), correct? But then again it states that x and y never do equal (0,0). I think I don't understand the question. Could somebody rephrase it or give me a hint? Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2008 #2
    I think it would be good for you to start with the equivalent 1 dimensional problem, which is:

Let f(x) = x sin(1/x) for all x not equal to zero, and define f(0) = 0. Show that f is continuous everywhere.

4. Jun 8, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, even in single variables that is not right. f is continuous at (a,b) provided that (1) f(a,b) exists, (2) [itex]lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)}[/itex] exists, and (3)[itex]lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)}= f(a,b)[/itex].

Even from your mistaken statement that does not follow. f(0,0) certainly does exist. You are told that "f(x,y)= 0 if (x,y)= (0,0)". In other words that f(0,0)= 0.
    Your reference to "the top function" implies that you think there are two functions here. That is incorrect. There is only one function.

No, it does NOT say "x and y never do equal (0,0)". It says that if x and y are not (0,0) then f(x,y) has a certain formula.

Suppose a function f(x) were defined by "f(x)= 2x- 3 if x is not 1, 2 if x is 1", what is f(1.001)? What is f(1)? Is that function continuous at x= 1?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  5. Jun 8, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the helpful insight so far.
    It is now clear to me that f(0,0) exists and is zero, so basically all I have to do to show that the function is continuous is prove that the limit of ysin(1/x) exists and is zero as (x,y) goes to (0,0).
    Now, how is that possible if the limit of (1/x) does not exist as x goes to zero? Is l'Hopitals rule somehow applicable in this situation?

6. Jun 8, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No one has said that lim(1/x) exists as x goes to 0!

What is being said is that (in your problem lim ysin(1/x) exists as x and y both go to 0 (independently) and (Crosson's one dimension example) x sin(1/x) exists as x goes to 0. What happens of x sin(1/x) for x very small? How large is "x"? How large is sin(1/x)? How large is their product?

7. Jun 8, 2008 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the epsilon-delta definition of limit and the fact that |sin(z)| <= 1 for all z. It will be clear that delta=epsilon does the trick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?