Conflicting result in derivative of composite function

In summary, the function f(x,y) is defined as (x^2y)/(x^2+y^2) if (x,y) is not equal to (0,0) and 0 if (x,y) is equal to (0,0). The partial derivatives at (0,0) are both zero, but the function itself is not equal to zero at that point. However, when approaching the function along different lines, such as y=0, x=0, or y=mx as x approaches 0, the limit is equal to zero. This shows that the function is continuous at (0,0), but not differentiable. This conflicts with the chain rule, which does not work
toforfiltum

Homework Statement

Let $$f(x,y)=\begin{cases} \frac{x^2y}{x^2+y^2} \space & \text{if} \space(x,y)\neq(0,0)\\0 \space & \text{if} \space(x,y)=(0,0)\end{cases}$$

a) Use the definition of the partial derivative to find ##f_x(0,0)## and ##f_y(0,0)##.

b) Let a be a nonzero constant and let ##x(t)=(t,at)##. Show that ##f\circ x## is differentiable, and find ##D(f\circ x)(0)## directly.

c) Calculate ##Df(0,0)Dx(0). How can you reconcile your answer in part b) and the chain rule?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) By going to the limit definition ##f_x(0,0)=0## and ##f_y(0,0)=0##.

b) $$f \circ x(t,at)=\frac{t^2(at)}{t^2(1+a^2)}$$
$$=\frac {at}{1+a^2}$$

Hence,$$D(f \circ x)=\frac{a}{1+a^2}$$ for all values of t.

c) According to answer in (a), $$Df(0,0)=(0,0)$$
$$Dx(0)= \left(\frac 1 a\right)$$
The product of both matrices yields zero.

I think that this conflicting result shows that at ##(0,0)##, there is no differentiability. Maybe along the line ##x(t)##, there is a derivative, but not for other paths going to ##(0,0)##.

I don't know, I'm just guessing here. Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
toforfiltum said:

Homework Statement

Let $$f(x,y)=\begin{cases} \frac{x^2y}{x^2+y^2} \space & \text{if} \space(x,y)\neq(0,0)\\0 \space & \text{if} \space(x,y)=(0,0)\end{cases}$$

a) Use the definition of the partial derivative to find ##f_x(0,0)## and ##f_y(0,0)##.

b) Let a be a nonzero constant and let ##x(t)=(t,at)##. Show that ##f\circ x## is differentiable, and find ##D(f\circ x)(0)## directly.

c) Calculate ##Df(0,0)Dx(0). How can you reconcile your answer in part b) and the chain rule?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) By going to the limit definition ##f_x(0,0)=0## and ##f_y(0,0)=0##.

b) $$f \circ x(t,at)=\frac{t^2(at)}{t^2(1+a^2)}$$
$$=\frac {at}{1+a^2}$$

Hence,$$D(f \circ x)=\frac{a}{1+a^2}$$ for all values of t.

c) According to answer in (a), $$Df(0,0)=(0,0)$$
$$Dx(0)= \left(\frac 1 a\right)$$
The product of both matrices yields zero.

I think that this conflicting result shows that at ##(0,0)##, there is no differentiability. Maybe along the line ##x(t)##, there is a derivative, but not for other paths going to ##(0,0)##.

I don't know, I'm just guessing here. Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Don't guess; verify.

You now know the definition of differentiability at ##(x,y) = (0,0)##, and can check whether or not your ##f## verifies that definition. If you cannot check it in cartesian coordinates, try switching to polar coordinates.

Ray Vickson said:
Don't guess; verify.

You now know the definition of differentiability at ##(x,y) = (0,0)##, and can check whether or not your ##f## verifies that definition. If you cannot check it in cartesian coordinates, try switching to polar coordinates.
Ah, switching to polar coordinates tells me that ##f## is indeed differentiable at ##(0,0)##, because the limit exists and is equal to zero. This invalidates my argument above.

Does this mean that ##x## may not be differentiable at ##(0,0)##?

@Ray Vickson Yes, what I say may be true. At ##x(0)##, the limits of the 2 functions are not equal to each other.

For ##t##, $$\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{x(h)-x(0)}{h}$$
$$=\frac{h-0}{h}=1$$

For ##at##, $$\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{x(h)-x(0)}{h}$$
$$=\frac{ah-0}{h}=a$$

Since the limits are not equal to each other, ##x## is not differentiable at 0.

Hence chain rule cannot be applied here.

Is this right?

I realized I have mixed up between continuity and differentiability. In post #3, I should have said continuous, not differentiable.

##D(f \circ x)(0)## works because the input of ##f(x,y)## now becomes ##f(t,at)##, and ##x(t)## is defined for all values of ##t##. So maybe this composition helps to sidestep the condition where ##f(x,y)=0## if ##(x,y)=(0,0)##.

According to my TA,the chain rule doesn't work here because ##f## is not differentiable at ##(0,0)## since it is undefined at ##(0,0)##.

And I think I can prove this.

$$\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{f(x,y) -0}{\|(x,y)-(0,0)\|}$$
$$=\frac{x^2y}{(x^2+y^2)^\frac{3}{2}}$$
When function is approached along ##y=0## and ##x=0##, limit is zero.

But when function is approached along ##y=mx## as ##x \to 0##, a non zero value is obtained. Hence function is not differentiable at ##(0,0)##.

This explains why the chain rule does not work, but it still baffles me why the differentiation of the composite function works.

toforfiltum said:
I realized I have mixed up between continuity and differentiability. In post #3, I should have said continuous, not differentiable.

##D(f \circ x)(0)## works because the input of ##f(x,y)## now becomes ##f(t,at)##, and ##x(t)## is defined for all values of ##t##. So maybe this composition helps to sidestep the condition where ##f(x,y)=0## if ##(x,y)=(0,0)##.

According to my TA,the chain rule doesn't work here because ##f## is not differentiable at ##(0,0)## since it is undefined at ##(0,0)##.

And I think I can prove this.

$$\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{f(x,y) -0}{\|(x,y)-(0,0)\|}$$
When function is approached along ##y=0## and ##x=0##, limit is zero.

But when function is approached along ##y=mx## as ##x \to 0##, a non zero value is obtained. Hence function is not differentiable at ##(0,0)##.

This explains why the chain rule does not work, but it still baffles me why the differentiation of the composite function works.

Why would you say that the reason ##f## is not differentiable at ##(0,0)## is that it is undefined at ##(0,0)##. That is false reasoning: ##f## is defined at the origin---just go back and look at the definition of ##f## you gave in Post #1. It is true that ##f## is not differentiable at the origin, but for a different reason. Can you tell us why? Look at the definition of differentiability, and see if your ##f## verifies that definition at the origin.

Ray Vickson said:
Why would you say that the reason ##f## is not differentiable at ##(0,0)## is that it is undefined at ##(0,0)##. That is false reasoning: ##f## is defined at the origin---just go back and look at the definition of ##f## you gave in Post #1. It is true that ##f## is not differentiable at the origin, but for a different reason. Can you tell us why? Look at the definition of differentiability, and see if your ##f## verifies that definition at the origin.
That's not what I said, my TA said it. That didn't make sense to me, because like you said, it is defined at that point.

And I did use the definition of differentiability in the post above to show that it is not differentiable at that point. Perhaps I will type everything out this time.

Since partial derivatives at ##(0,0)##, are both zero and function is defined as zero at ##(0,0)##,

$$\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{f(x,y)-0}{\|(x,y)-(0,0)\|}$$

Along the line ##y=0##, ##\lim_{x \to 0}=0##

Along the line ##x=0##, ##\lim_{y \to 0}=0##

Along the line ##y=mx## as ##x \to 0##, $$\lim_{y=mx \to 0} \frac{mx^3}{x^3(1+m^2)^\frac{3}{2}} \neq 0$$

Hence, function is not differentiable at ##(0,0)##.

toforfiltum said:
That's not what I said, my TA said it. That didn't make sense to me, because like you said, it is defined at that point.

And I did use the definition of differentiability in the post above to show that it is not differentiable at that point. Perhaps I will type everything out this time.

Since partial derivatives at ##(0,0)##, are both zero and function is defined as zero at ##(0,0)##,

$$\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{f(x,y)-0}{\|(x,y)-(0,0)\|}$$

Along the line ##y=0##, ##\lim_{x \to 0}=0##

Along the line ##x=0##, ##\lim_{y \to 0}=0##

Along the line ##y=mx## as ##x \to 0##, $$\lim_{y=mx \to 0} \frac{mx^3}{x^3(1+m^2)^\frac{3}{2}} \neq 0$$

Hence, function is not differentiable at ##(0,0)##.

OK, that is good enough.

Another way is to ask: are there constants ##a## and ##b## such that ##f(x,y) = f(0,0) + a x + by + e(x,y)##, where the "error" term ##e(x,y)## is of higher order in small ##\|(x,y)\|## (that is, where ##e(x,y)/ \|(x,y)\| \to 0## as ##(x,y) \to (0,0)##)? If you had such constants ##a,b##, the would, necessarily, have to equal ##f_x(0,0)## and ##f_y(0,0)##, respectively, because ##f(x,0) - f(0,0) = ax + e(x,0)##, so ##[f(x,0)-f(0,0)]/x \to a ## as ##x \to 0##, etc. However, we have seen already that ##f_x = f_y = 0## at the origin, so if ##f## were differentiable at the origin we would have to have ##f(x,y) = 0 x + 0 y + e(x,y) = e(x,y)## of "higher order"; that is, we would have to have ##f(x,y)/\|(x,y)\| \to 0 ## as ##\|(x,y)\| \to 0##. Is that true? Well, using polar coordinates we have ##f(x,y) = r \cos^2(\theta) \sin(\theta)## and, of course, ##\|(x,y)\| = r##, so ##f(x,y)/\|(x,y)\| = \cos^2(\theta) \sin(\theta)##. For most ##\theta## this does not go to 0 as ##r \to 0##.

1. What is a conflicting result in derivative of composite function?

A conflicting result in derivative of composite function refers to a situation where the derivative of a composite function is calculated using different methods or approaches, resulting in different answers.

2. What causes conflicting results in derivative of composite function?

Conflicting results in derivative of composite function can be caused by human error during calculations, incorrect application of derivative rules, or using different definitions of composite functions.

3. How can conflicting results in derivative of composite function be resolved?

Conflicting results in derivative of composite function can be resolved by double-checking calculations, using the correct derivative rules, and ensuring that the same definition of the composite function is used.

4. Are there any common mistakes that lead to conflicting results in derivative of composite function?

Yes, some common mistakes that can lead to conflicting results in derivative of composite function include not applying the chain rule correctly, forgetting to take the derivative of the inner function, and using different definitions of composite functions.

5. Can conflicting results in derivative of composite function affect the accuracy of scientific research?

Yes, conflicting results in derivative of composite function can affect the accuracy of scientific research as it can lead to incorrect conclusions or interpretations of data. It is important for scientists to carefully check their calculations and ensure that they are using the correct methods to avoid conflicting results.