Trouble understanding the answer

• Thread starter FieldDuck
  • Start date
In summary, the person walks from point A to point B at a constant speed of 5.00m/s and then walks back from point B to point A at a constant speed of 3.00m/s. The average speed of the entire trip is 3.75m/s.
FieldDuck

Homework Statement

A person walks in a straight line from point A to point B at a constant speed of 5.00m/s and walks back from point b to point a, with a constant speed at 3.00 m/s. What is the average speed of the entire trip.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I know how to solve this problem.

[tex] 5.00m/s = \frac {d}{t_1} [/tex]
and

[tex] -3.00 m/s = -\frac{d}{t_2}[/tex]

Therefore
[tex] V_avg = \frac{Total Distance}{Total Time}= \frac{d+d}{\frac{d}{5.00m/s}+\frac{d}{3.00m.s}}[/tex]

Some simple math and we end up with answer of 3.75 m/s

And that is the answer in the book. The problem is I only got this after I realized my first attempt was wrong and I couldn't figure out why. I tracked down the problem to the simple fact that I didn't write -3.00m/s. I don't particularly understand why it would be -3.00m/s

The way I thought about this initial was that average speed, the direction doesn't matter since they are not vectors, so when I wrote [tex] 3.00=\frac{d}{t_2} [/tex] it made sense to me. So I guess my question is, why is it negative and not just positive? Maybe I'm just so tired tonight.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it says avg speed, you don't use minus 3m/s just 3 m/s

Distance from a to b is the same as distance from b to a

(2 * d) / ( t1 + t2 ) = avg speed

Just sub in for the t values and simplify.

I think the problem is stated wrong in your book as the minus 3 m/s in the answer implies avg velocity and velocity is direction dependent.

You know what, I think you just confirmed that my brain was fried because as I reworked it, it became obvious -_-. Now I feel a bit like an idiot. I'll take this as a sign I need sleep.

What does "trouble understanding the answer" mean?

"Trouble understanding the answer" refers to having difficulty comprehending or grasping the meaning or explanation provided in response to a question or problem.

Why do people experience trouble understanding the answer?

There are several reasons why someone may have trouble understanding an answer. These can include a lack of knowledge or prior understanding of the subject matter, unclear or confusing language used in the answer, or simply not being able to follow the logic or reasoning behind the explanation.

How can I improve my ability to understand answers?

One way to improve your understanding of answers is to actively engage in the learning process. This can include asking questions for clarification, taking notes, and seeking out additional resources or explanations if needed. It can also be helpful to break down complex answers into smaller, more manageable pieces to better comprehend the information.

What should I do if I still have trouble understanding an answer?

If you are still having trouble understanding an answer, don't be afraid to ask for further clarification or explanation from the person providing the answer. It may also be helpful to seek out alternative sources or explanations to gain a better understanding. Additionally, taking a break and returning to the answer with a fresh perspective can sometimes lead to better understanding.

Is it normal to have trouble understanding answers?

Yes, it is completely normal to have trouble understanding answers at times. Everyone learns and processes information differently, and some topics or concepts may be more challenging to grasp than others. It is important to be patient with yourself and to seek out assistance or resources when needed.