Trouble Understanding How to Apply Kirchhoff's Laws

• Thread starter gibberingmouther
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply Laws
In summary, the person is taking a break from music for a few days because they find it difficult to do their physics homework without it, but they think they need to work harder if they want to get a good grade in the class. They are having a difficult time figuring out how to solve a circuit that was given to them and they need help from somebody who knows more about it.
gibberingmouther
Homework Statement
Finding currents through resistors
Relevant Equations
R(eq. parallel) = (1/R1 + 1/R2 + …)^-1 and R(eq. series) = (R1 + R2 + …) and E=IR
I'm taking a break from music for a few days because I do that sometimes, and it's like a rule for me, and I usually listen to music when doing my physics homework. I'm realizing I have a little more trouble without that boost I get. But it could also be that what I'm trying to do is hard. I think I really need to work on circuit solving if I want to get a B in this class.

The specific circuit I was having trouble with is:

I don't think I need to include the specific values, but the battery voltage and the resistance values for each resistor are given.

I tried breaking the circuit up into loops, but that doesn't seem to work very well. The problem asks what the currents going through each resistor are. I don't know how to find those values or the voltage drops.

I guess I can find the voltage drops if I can find the currents - because they would just be the currents times the given resistances, right? R34 is in parallel with R2 and R234 is in parallel with R1. So V34 = V2 and V234 = V1? Is V134 = V2?

Is I3 = I4 = I(eq.) for the entire circuit?

If somebody could help me understand how to apply E = IR along with the rules for parallel and series circuits that would help immensely.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are serveral methods to solve this problem. Perhaps it is better to know which method your professor expects you to use. Is it mentioned in the problem statement?

Also, it will be easier to work it out with the given component values instead of using variable names.

gibberingmouther said:
The specific circuit I was having trouble with is:
View attachment 241054
I don't think I need to include the specific values, but the battery voltage and the resistance values for each resistor are given.

I tried breaking the circuit up into loops, but that doesn't seem to work very well. The problem asks what the currents going through each resistor are. I don't know how to find those values or the voltage drops.

I guess I can find the voltage drops if I can find the currents - because they would just be the currents times the given resistances, right? R34 is in parallel with R2 and R234 is in parallel with R1. So V34 = V2 and V234 = V1? Is V134 = V2?

No, R34 (the series equivalent of R3 and R4 ) is not parallel with (Edit:)R2. Two resistors are connected in parallel if they have two pairs of terminals in common, but one terminal of R2 is connected to the positive terminal of the source.
But R1 is parallel with R34.

The red dot is common for all the tree resistors, but the blue one is common for R1 and R34 only.

gibberingmouther said:
Is I3 = I4 = I(eq.) for the entire circuit?
No

Last edited:
ehild, you said that R34 is not in parallel with R1 but R1 is in parallel with R34? Is that what you meant to say? My understanding was that if two resistors are in parallel, then they are in parallel to each other. Did you mean to say R2 is in parallel with R34?

gibberingmouther said:
ehild, you said that R34 is not in parallel with R1 but R1 is in parallel with R34? Is that what you meant to say? My understanding was that if two resistors are in parallel, then they are in parallel to each other. Did you mean to say R2 is in parallel with R34?
Sorry, I meant R34 is not parallel with R2.

Likes gibberingmouther
I had trouble for awhile, but I think I get it now thanks to an electronics site I found and the hints on Pearson. I just need to do some practice problems so I'm less likely to make mistakes when I take the final exam, because solving these circuits sometimes involves a lot of steps and algebra.

Figuring out how to do this is so far the hardest thing I've done in my two physics courses, even though the rules you're supposed to use seem so simple. I've had an easier time with complicated formulas that use calculus than with solving circuits.

1. What are Kirchhoff's Laws?

Kirchhoff's Laws are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that explain the behavior of electric currents and voltages in a circuit. They are used to determine the voltage and current at different points in a circuit and help in solving complex circuit problems.

2. What is the first law of Kirchhoff?

The first law of Kirchhoff, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), states that the sum of the currents entering a junction in a circuit must be equal to the sum of the currents leaving the junction. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge and is used to analyze the flow of current in series and parallel circuits.

3. What is the second law of Kirchhoff?

The second law of Kirchhoff, also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed circuit must be equal to the sum of the voltage sources in the circuit. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is used to analyze the voltage distribution in a circuit.

4. How do I apply Kirchhoff's Laws in circuit analysis?

To apply Kirchhoff's Laws in circuit analysis, you first need to identify the junctions and loops in the circuit. Then, using KCL, you can write equations for the currents entering and leaving each junction. Similarly, using KVL, you can write equations for the voltage drops and sources in each loop. Finally, you can solve these equations simultaneously to determine the unknown currents and voltages in the circuit.

5. What are some common mistakes made when applying Kirchhoff's Laws?

One common mistake when applying Kirchhoff's Laws is forgetting to account for the direction of current or voltage in the circuit. It is important to assign a direction to each current and voltage and stick to it consistently throughout the analysis. Another mistake is not considering the polarity of voltage sources, which can result in incorrect calculations. It is also important to properly label and track the currents and voltages in the circuit to avoid confusion.