Trouble with a line in Goldstein

Thus,\arccos(-x) = \arcsin(x) + \frac{\pi}2In summary, the conversation is discussing an equation in Goldstein's book, where an integral is equal to an arccos function. However, other integral books show the same equation with an arcsin function instead and the argument being positive instead of negative. The missing piece is \pi/2, which can be absorbed into the constant of integration. It is also noted that the derivative of arccos(-x) is equal to the derivative of arcsin(x) and that arccos(-x) is equal to arcsin(x) plus \pi/2.
maverick_starstrider
Hey, I'm looking through Goldstein's and I'm looking at equation 3.51 where it basically says

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{\gamma x^2 + \beta x + \alpha}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{-\gamma} } arccos \left( - \frac{\beta + 2 \gamma x}{\sqrt{\beta^2 - 4 \gamma \alpha} }\right) [/tex]

Every integral book I look at says it should be what he gets except an arcsin function and the argument is positive not negative. but

[tex] arcsin(-x) \neq arccos(x) [/tex]

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick_starstrider said:
What am I missing?
You are missing [itex]\pi/2[/itex], which can be absorbed into the (unspecified) constant of integration.

Note that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\arccos(-x) = \frac{d}{dx}\arcsin(x) = \frac 1{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

and that
[tex]\arccos(-x) - \arcsin(x) = \frac{\pi}2[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the plot of "Trouble with a line in Goldstein"?

The story follows a young scientist named David Goldstein who is struggling to solve a complex problem in his research. He seeks help from his mentor and colleague, Dr. Rachel Kim, but their relationship is strained due to past conflicts. As David delves deeper into his investigation, he uncovers a conspiracy within their research institution that threatens his career and reputation.

Who are the main characters in "Trouble with a line in Goldstein"?

The main characters are David Goldstein, a young scientist and protagonist; Dr. Rachel Kim, David's mentor and colleague; Dr. Thomas Green, the head of their research institution; and Dr. Sarah Patel, a fellow scientist and potential love interest for David.

What is the central conflict in "Trouble with a line in Goldstein"?

The central conflict revolves around David's struggle to solve a difficult problem in his research, while also dealing with personal and professional conflicts with his colleagues. He must also navigate through a conspiracy within their research institution that threatens to ruin his career and reputation.

What themes are explored in "Trouble with a line in Goldstein"?

The story explores themes of ambition, betrayal, trust, and the ethics of scientific research. It also delves into the dynamics of mentor-mentee relationships and the pressure to succeed in the competitive world of research.

What is the significance of the title "Trouble with a line in Goldstein"?

The title refers to both the literal trouble that David encounters with a difficult line in his research, as well as the metaphorical trouble he faces with his relationships and the conspiracy surrounding their research institution. It also alludes to the idea of crossing a line in the pursuit of scientific discovery and the consequences that come with it.