Trouble with calculating acceleration from velocitity using calculus

In summary, the steps to find the equation a=0.04s + 2 from the given a=v dv/ds statement involve using the chain rule for differentiation and basic calculus rules such as the power rule and the derivative of a sum of functions. This allows us to rewrite the equation in terms of velocity as a function of position, and then differentiate it to obtain the desired equation.
James22
I don't understand what is happening after the a=v dv/ds statement. If someone could explain the steps using calculus to end up with a=0.04s + 2 I would really appreciate it. I am trying to figure it out by reading over my old calculus notes, but I can't make a connection between the two.

Homework Statement

oidk41.jpg

Homework Equations

a=v dv/ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just trying to follow along at this point. I don't understand what is happening after the a=v dv/ds statement. If someone could explain the steps using calculus to end up with a=0.04s + 2 I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The steps make use of a property of differentiation called the chain rule. It basically says that the derivative of a function with respect to one variable (e.g. x) can be expressed as the product of the derivative of that function with respect to another variable (e.g. y) times the derivative of y with respect to x (provided y also depends on x). That statement may have been difficult to parse, so here it is in equation form:

If f is a function of y, f(y), and y is also a function of x, y(x), then:

[tex] \frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]​

This is the chain rule for differentiation. In your example, the chain rule has been applied to the derivative of velocity with respect to time. Velocity is a function of time, v(t), but position is also a function of time s(t). therefore, using the chain rule, we can write:

[tex] a(t) = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{ds}\frac{ds}{dt} [/tex]​

Now, in this last step, ds/dt, which is the rate of change of position with time, is just velocity (v = ds/dt by definition). So, substituting v for ds/dt, the expression becomes:

[tex] a(t) = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{ds}v [/tex]​

Last edited:
Rewriting it in this way is useful because you already know the velocity as a function of position v(s) (rather than time). It is given to you in graphical format. So, the remaining steps are:

[tex] v(s) = 0.2s + 10 [/tex]​

To differentiate the velocity with respect to position, basic calculus rules were used. The derivative of a sum of two functions is the sum of the derivatives of those two functions. Also, remember the power rule for differentiation of functions that can be expressed as powers of the independent variable. If:

[tex] f(s) = As^n [/tex]​

then:

[tex] \frac{df}{ds} = nAs^{n-1} [/tex]​

For this reason, the derivative of a constant function is zero, because n=0 in that case. Intuitively, a constant function doesn't change, so its rate of change is zero. In our particular example, we can apply these rules as follows:

[tex] v(s) = 0.2s^1 + 10 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dv}{ds} = \frac{d}{ds}(0.2s^1 + 10) = \frac{d}{ds}(0.2s^1) + \frac{d}{ds}(10) = 0.2s^0 + 0 = 0.2 [/tex]​

Therefore:

[tex] v\frac{dv}{ds} = (0.2s + 10)(0.2) = 0.04s + 2 [/tex]​

Thank you Cepheid, I understand now.

Hello,

I understand your confusion with the steps involved in calculating acceleration from velocity using calculus. Let me break it down for you.

Firstly, let's define the variables involved in this equation:

a = acceleration
v = velocity
s = displacement

The equation a = v(dv/ds) is derived from the fundamental equation of motion, which is v = ds/dt (where t is time).

To find the acceleration, we need to differentiate the velocity with respect to time, which gives us a = d(v)/dt.

Now, we can substitute v = ds/dt into this equation, giving us a = d(ds/dt)/dt.

Using the chain rule of calculus, we can simplify this to a = (d^2s)/dt^2.

Now, we know that acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. So, we can rewrite this equation as a = dv/dt.

Substituting v = ds/dt into this equation, we get a = d(ds/dt)/dt.

Again using the chain rule, this can be simplified to a = (d^2s)/dt^2.

Now, we can rearrange this equation to get a = (d^2s)/(dt^2) = dv/ds.

Finally, we can substitute the given values of v = 0.04s and dv/ds = 2 into this equation and solve for a. This gives us a = 0.04s + 2.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the steps involved in calculating acceleration from velocity using calculus. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

What is acceleration and how is it related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In other words, it measures how much an object's velocity changes over a given amount of time. Acceleration is related to velocity through the derivative in calculus, as the derivative of velocity is acceleration.

Why is calculus necessary to calculate acceleration from velocity?

Calculus is necessary because it is the mathematical tool used to calculate derivatives, which are needed to determine acceleration. The derivative of velocity with respect to time is acceleration, so without calculus, it would not be possible to accurately determine an object's acceleration from its velocity.

What are the steps to calculating acceleration from velocity using calculus?

The first step is to determine the function for an object's velocity over time. Then, take the derivative of this function with respect to time to find the object's acceleration. This can be done by using the power rule, product rule, or chain rule in calculus. Finally, evaluate the derivative at a specific time to find the object's acceleration at that moment.

What are some common mistakes when calculating acceleration from velocity using calculus?

One common mistake is forgetting to take the derivative of the velocity function before evaluating it at a specific time. Another mistake is not using the correct rules of calculus to find the derivative, leading to incorrect results. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.

Can acceleration be calculated without using calculus?

No, acceleration cannot be accurately calculated without using calculus. This is because acceleration is defined as the derivative of velocity, and calculus is the mathematical tool used to calculate derivatives. While there are other methods for estimating acceleration, they will not provide the same level of accuracy as using calculus.