1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with elasticity and torque on a body in equilibrium

1. Feb 15, 2016 #1
    Supose we have a ¨U-shaped" metal bar, stuck in the ground, and I aply a force on the top of the part on the right, trying to make it wider. If I were to avaliate the forces acting on a specific part of the bar that includes the point that I´m applying the force, let`s say the portion from that point to half the height of the U-shaped bar, there would be 2 forces on the horizontal direction (ignoring the weight): my force and an elastic force from the metal bar (It will deform a little bit until it matches my force). But, if I were to avaliate Torques acting on that portion of the U-bar, and If I took the reference point on any of the points which the one of the two forces are acting, there would be a resultant torque, wich is impossible, since it`s in equilibrium. Where have I got this wrong? And why?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2016 #2

Merlin3189

Gold Member

I think you need a diagram. I'm not sure I understand your problem.

If you have no special software, you could use a simple Paint program and attach a .png file to your post.

avaliate - I think you mean evaluate

I think you are not considering all possible forces. I've quickly added more on a diagram,( though I can't say they are accurate or complete.) Ubolt.png

4. Feb 15, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1 about a diagram.

I believe the answer is that the part in the ground is not a single "point" that you can take as the origin. Rather there is a "length" of pipe in the ground. What ever point you choose as origin there will be a force acting on the bit in the ground to provide a torque.

This is true even if the bit in the ground is curved like the bottom of the letter u.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook