Trouble with question - Catching a baseball & momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the momentum, impulse, and force of a baseball being caught by a catcher. The answer to the first two parts is 17.5 kgm/s, and the answer to the third part is 35 N. The only mistake is using "Kg" instead of "kg" and incorrectly stating the unit for force.
CougarPride
Trouble with question -- Catching a baseball & momentum

There are three parts to this question, and I am stuck on the last part. The question reads as follows:
a) A pitched ball with a mass of 0.5kg reaches a catchers glove traveling at 35m/s. How much momentum does the ball have?
My answer: Momentum = m(v) (0.5)(35) = 17.5 kgm/s

b) How much impulse is required to stop the ball?

The way I answered this question is that impulse and momentum equal each other when the acceleration is constant, or doesn't change. So I said the impulse equals 17.5 Kgm/s as well.

c) If the ball is in contact with the glove for 0.5 before its motion is stopped, how much force is applied to the glove?

This is the question I am stuck on. I believe my answer is wrong, but this is the way I answered it:
Impulse = F(t) 17.5 Kgm/s = F(0.5)
17.5/0.5 = F = 35 Kgm/s2

I honestly feel like my answer to this third part is wrong. And I am having a really hard time with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is essentially correct. But there are a couple of things that are wrong. First, there is no such unit as "Kg". It is either "kg" or "kilogram". Second, force is measured in Newtons.

1. What is momentum and how does it relate to catching a baseball?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. When catching a baseball, the momentum of the ball is transferred to the catcher's hand upon impact. This is why catching a fast-moving baseball can be challenging, as the catcher must also use their own momentum to absorb and control the force of the ball.

2. How does the mass of a baseball affect its momentum?

The mass of a baseball directly affects its momentum. The larger the mass, the greater the momentum. This is why it is easier to catch a heavier baseball, as it has more inertia and is less likely to deviate from its original path upon impact.

3. What is the relationship between velocity and momentum when catching a baseball?

Velocity and momentum have a direct relationship when catching a baseball. The greater the velocity of the ball, the greater the momentum it possesses. This is why it can be more challenging to catch a fast-moving baseball, as it has a higher momentum and requires more force to stop its motion.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the momentum of a baseball when catching it?

The angle of impact can greatly affect the momentum of a baseball when catching it. If the ball is caught at a perpendicular angle, the momentum will be transferred directly to the catcher's hand. However, if the ball is caught at an angle, the momentum will have a horizontal component, making it more difficult to control and absorb.

5. Is it important to use proper technique when catching a baseball to maximize momentum transfer?

Yes, using proper technique when catching a baseball is crucial for maximizing momentum transfer. This includes positioning the body correctly, using both hands to catch the ball, and absorbing the force of the ball with the entire body rather than just the hands. Proper technique can help reduce the impact of the ball and make it easier to control and catch with a higher momentum transfer.