1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with question - Catching a baseball & momentum

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    Trouble with question -- Catching a baseball & momentum

There are three parts to this question, and I am stuck on the last part. The question reads as follows:
    a) A pitched ball with a mass of 0.5kg reaches a catchers glove traveling at 35m/s. How much momentum does the ball have?
    My answer: Momentum = m(v) (0.5)(35) = 17.5 kgm/s

b) How much impulse is required to stop the ball?

The way I answered this question is that impulse and momentum equal each other when the acceleration is constant, or doesnt change. So I said the impulse equals 17.5 Kgm/s as well.

c) If the ball is in contact with the glove for 0.5 before its motion is stopped, how much force is applied to the glove?

This is the question I am stuck on. I believe my answer is wrong, but this is the way I answered it:
    Impulse = F(t) 17.5 Kgm/s = F(0.5)
    17.5/0.5 = F = 35 Kgm/s2

I honestly feel like my answer to this third part is wrong. And Im having a really hard time with it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2014 #2
    Your answer is essentially correct. But there are a couple of things that are wrong. First, there is no such unit as "Kg". It is either "kg" or "kilogram". Second, force is measured in Newtons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted