Trouble with Solving a Partial Differentiation Problem?

In summary, partial differentiation is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of multivariable functions and understand how changes in one variable affect the overall function. It differs from ordinary differentiation in that it deals with functions of multiple variables and uses the partial derivative operator (∂). The purpose of using partial differentiation is to analyze the behavior of multivariable functions and solve problems in various scientific fields.
anil86
I got x = (u2 - v2) / u
y = (v2 - u2) / v

I differentiated them w.r.t u & v respectively & solved the given equation but I'm not getting the answer which is 0.

Please view attachment for question!View attachment 1717

Attachments

• Image0358.jpg
    Image0358.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attachment is almost unreadable. I expect this is why you have not received any replies yet...

And it would be a good idea to show what work you have done. That way we might be able to trace any mistakes.

-Dan

Related to Trouble with Solving a Partial Differentiation Problem?

What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical concept used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation allows us to analyze the behavior of multivariable functions and understand how changes in one variable affect the overall function. This is crucial in many fields of science, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

What is the difference between partial differentiation and ordinary differentiation?

Partial differentiation deals with functions of multiple variables, while ordinary differentiation deals with functions of a single variable. In partial differentiation, we hold all other variables constant and only focus on the rate of change with respect to one variable.

How is partial differentiation performed?

To perform partial differentiation, we use the partial derivative operator (∂) to denote which variable we are differentiating with respect to. We treat all other variables as constants and apply the usual rules of differentiation.

What is the purpose of using partial differentiation?

The main purpose of using partial differentiation is to analyze the behavior of multivariable functions and understand how changes in one variable affect the overall function. This helps in solving optimization problems, determining rates of change, and analyzing the stability of systems in various scientific fields.