1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble With Understanding Implicit Differentiation

1. Jul 4, 2011 #1
    I don't think I fully understand implicit differentiation. I have read my textbook and watched many videos, and I think I will get an A on my test on this solely by memorizing the rules, but I would really like to understand this topic. From what I know, you are supposed to use implicit differentiation when the variable of the thing you are taking the derivative of disagrees with the denominator of d/dx and when they agree use explicit differentiation. I understand that there is a problem with taking the derivative of an expression when the variables disagree, but I don't understand why you can use the chain rule when the variables disagree but you cannot use the simple power rule (i.e. d/dx [yˆ2] = 2y(dy/dx) ≠ 2y). It seems arbitrary; why are you allowed to use the chain rule and not the simple power rule?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

the difference is you are differentiating y = y(x), a fucntion of x, with respect to x, so you keep the dy/dx term

if you were differentiating with respect to y then the power law applies
    [tex] \frac{d}{dy}y^2 = 2y [/tex]

4. Jul 4, 2011 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

and in fact you are using both the chain rule and the power rule

5. Jul 4, 2011 #4
    ^I know, but why? Why do you only use the chain rule when the variables disagree?

6. Jul 4, 2011 #5
    I think you actually use the chain rule when the variable agrees. It's just that the derivative of the inside of say X^3 is 1, (that is, the derivative with respect to x of x). So you have something like this:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}x^{3}=3x^{2}(\frac{d}{dx}x)[/tex]
    The latter part is just one, so we don't have to write it.

Think of it like a composition:
    [tex]f(x) = x^{3}[/tex]
    [tex]g(x) = x[/tex]
    [tex](f \circ g)(x) = f(g(x)) = (x)^3[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  7. Jul 4, 2011 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

yeah so just to add to quarkcharmers post

consider the function f(x) = x

then consider g(f) = f^2

taking teh composition of functions we have
    [tex] g(f(x)) = (f(x))^2 = x^2[/tex]

when we differntiate w.r.t. x
    [tex] \frac{d}{dx}g(f(x)) = \frac{dg(f(x))}{dx}g(f(x))\frac{df(x)}{dx} = g'(f(x))f'(x) = 2f(x).1 = 2x[/tex]

so the key part isfor f(x) = x
    [tex] \frac{df(x)}{dx} = f'(x) = \frac{d(x)}{dx} = 1[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook