Even I was and engineer and Manager of EE, I did a lot of work building boards at crunch time as I was faster than the technicians. I am doing more soldering and building boards since I retired as I don't have people to boss around, I am the designer and assembler and all at home. I was contracting at home for over a year and half working at home so I have to build all the boards of my designs using TSSOP and 0402 parts.
I am retired, but I am very active in designing high end audiophile power amps that mixed power electronics components with SMD on one board. Attached are what I am working on, I spent like 3 hours a day building and testing stuffs. I build in higher quantity for comparisons. You can see those
1)IPS boards are all SMD with a few through parts.
2) Old power amp boards L that I am at the process of pulling out parts to reuse. It's mixed SMD and large transistors on one board. What make it very difficult for soldering is I have to use 2oz copper for high current purpose. Try soldering SMD parts on 2oz copper.
3) Scrapted boards are boards in various stages of pulling out parts. Those transistors, capacitors and a lot of stuffs are expensive. I even recycle SMD parts.
4) Boards to recycle are piles of boards either obsoleted or parts been pulled and ready to go to recycle.
I do a lot of soldering and rework now that I am retired and no one to boss around and dump the dirty work on anymore like when I was at work. It's all on me. Particular I fab boards in China as it's a lot cheaper. There quality is much lower, they don't hold up to soldering heat anywhere close to the boards made in USA. This make it so much more critical in soldering. I have absolutely no problem using what I described.
I don't want to debate this any more, to each their own, we just agree to disagree. I walked the mile...many miles on this, it works for me and serve me well.