Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to decide which engineering is right for me?

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    I'm a junior in high school, and I'm taking physics this year, and, along with chemistry, it's my favorite subject. My favorite part of physics so far has been electromagnetism. I understand the concepts really well, and the subject is fun to think about. I found mechanisms easy yet a little boring and fluids and thermodynamics were really tricky although I thought they were a little interesting. I also love chemistry, but I think biology is kind of boring. I'm also good at math although I'm only taking precalculus this year, so take that with a grain of salt. Furthermore, I'm taking computer science this year, and it's a little boring. The type of math you do in that class is not for me. I think the kind of problems in physics are much more interesting. With that said, which engineering field would be best for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

dirtysocks45,

Welcome to Physics Forums! My response to your question is short: you're too young to decide on your career path!

May I suggest you continue your studies while keeping an open mind about "which engineering field would be best for me?" You still have another year before graduation from High School, and then, if you enter a four-year college, then that adds up to over five years' time! No need to make such a decision now. Study everything, and concentrate on the areas you do like/enjoy or have more interest in. No one your age needs to have "limitations" to some specific narrow field.

I've seen college students come to my company on summer "internship" programs and that "hands on" experience working as part of a team on real engineering projects with real engineers gave them a clear view of where they prefer to specialize.

Remain curious.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook