• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Trying to find an alternative for solving an integral

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Captura de pantalla (522).png

2. Relevant equations

Captura de pantalla (524).png

3. The attempt at a solution

Captura de pantalla (528).png

I understand how the integral is solved using cartesian coordinates.

However, I wanted to try to solve it using polar coordinates:

$$\int_0^{\pi/2} cos \theta \sqrt{1+r^2 cos^2 \theta}d \theta\int_{0}^{\sqrt{1-r^2 cos^2 \theta}}r^3dr$$

But it doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Am I wrong or we cannot find a better method than cartesian coordinates for solving this integral?

Attachments

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

View attachment 240513

2. Relevant equations

View attachment 240514

3. The attempt at a solution

View attachment 240515

I understand how the integral is solved using cartesian coordinates.

However, I wanted to try to solve it using polar coordinates:

$$\int_0^{\pi/2} cos \theta \sqrt{1+r^2 cos^2 \theta}d \theta\int_{0}^{\sqrt{1-r^2 cos^2 \theta}}r^3dr$$

But it doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Am I wrong or we cannot find a better method than cartesian coordinates for solving this integral?
Your last integral with respect to ##r## also has ##r## in the upper limit; that is meaningless. Not only that, your first integrand (for the ##d \theta## integral) still has an ##r## in it, but that ##r## is nowhere integrated out.

Your last integral with respect to ##r## also has ##r## in the upper limit; that is meaningless. Not only that, your first integrand (for the ##d \theta## integral) still has an ##r## in it, but that ##r## is nowhere integrated out.
Is it meaningless because polar coordinates doesn't apply here or because I made a mistake changing coordinates?

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Is it meaningless because polar coordinates doesn't apply here or because I made a mistake changing coordinates?
Well, let's see: for ##dA = dx \, dy##, ##dA## becomes ##r \, dr \, d \theta## and so
##x \sqrt{1+x^2} \, dA## becomes ## r \cos(\theta) \sqrt{1+r^2 \cos^2(\theta)}\, r \, dr \, d\theta, ## with ##0 \leq r \leq 1## and ##0 \leq \theta \leq \pi/4.## You could do the ##r##-integral (with ##\theta## fixed) to get a function of ##\theta## that would then need to be integrated over ##\theta## from 0 to ##\pi/4##; or, you could do the ##\theta##-integral (with fixed ##r##) to get a function of ##r## that would need integrating from 0 to 1. In either case you would not get what you wrote.

Last edited: