Trying to find papers of Debye and Falckenhagen's Induction Effect.

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to reference papers by Debye and Falckenhagen on the Induction Effect in a report. The correct journal is identified as "Physikalische Zeitschrift", despite initial confusion caused by the abbreviation "Physik. Z.". The conversation also mentions difficulties in finding the correct references, as they do not match the given years or volume numbers.
Born2bwire
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm trying to fill out my bibliography in a report and I need to reference the papers by Debye and Falckenhagen that laid out their Induction Effect. London gives them as being

P. Debye, Physik. Z., 1920, 21, 178
H. Falckenhagen, Physik. Z., 1922, 23, 87

and I find some random paper elsewhere that had the same references. However, when I pull up the Zeitschrift fuer Physik, http://www.springerlink.com/content/0939-7922/21/1/ , they do not have these volume numbers (for the given years) or the papers from what I can find. Best I can find though is that Physik. Z. is the Zeitschrift fuer Physik. Is there a different journal that Phsyik. Z. refers to or did London make an error that keeps getting propagated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physik. Z. would "Physikalische Zeitschrift".

Ahhh, thanks. That didn't come up in my search of Physik. Z. but certainly makes more sense.

1. What is the Debye and Falckenhagen's Induction Effect?

The Debye and Falckenhagen's Induction Effect is a phenomenon in which a strong electric field applied to a gas results in the production of light. This effect was discovered by Peter Debye and Paul Falckenhagen in the early 20th century.

2. What is the significance of the Debye and Falckenhagen's Induction Effect?

This effect is significant because it provided evidence for the existence of excited states in atoms and molecules, which was a major contribution to the development of atomic and quantum theory.

3. How did Debye and Falckenhagen discover this effect?

Debye and Falckenhagen discovered this effect by passing an electric discharge through a gas at low pressure and observing the production of light. They found that the intensity of the light varied with the strength of the electric field, which led to the discovery of the induction effect.

4. What applications does the Debye and Falckenhagen's Induction Effect have?

This effect has applications in various fields such as spectroscopy, plasma physics, and gas discharge lamps. It also plays a key role in understanding the behavior of gases under high voltage conditions.

5. Are there any current studies or developments related to the Debye and Falckenhagen's Induction Effect?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and developments related to this effect. Some recent studies have focused on the influence of magnetic fields on the induction effect, as well as its application in the development of new lighting technologies.