Trying to find the appropriate motor for a sliding door

In summary, the assignment is to create a sliding door with a working motor and calculations for the mechanical and structural components. However, there is difficulty in finding an appropriate motor for the door's movement, as the doors weigh 80kg each and are supported by a steel track with wheels, resulting in a total weight of 1568 Newtons. The rolling coefficient of the steel wheels to steel rails is 0.001, which means a force of 1.5696N is needed for the belt to pull the door. The torque needed, based on a 3cm belt pulley, is 0.047088 (N/m)Newton-metres. Most motors found have high rpm and a torque over 1 (
CuriousNotion
My assignment is to create a sliding door with working motor,mechanical and structure calculations. However I keep having trouble when finding the appropriate motor for the sliding door movement. The doors are both 80kg (Which is 784 Newtons). The entire weight is taken is supported by the track with steel wheels that is connected to a steel rail (to prevent the pulling of the driving belt, altogether it is 1568 Newtons for the doors). this the rolling co-efficient of the steel wheels to steel rails is around 0.001.

So the force needed for the belt to pull the door is

F.c = (1568 x 0.001)=1.5696N

The diameter of the belt pulley is 3 cm so the torque needed is

Torque=force x radius = 1.5696 x 0.03 =0.047088 (N/m)Newton-metres.

Nearly all the motors I have found are over 1 (N/m) of torque but very high rpm (which I need to convert to a lower rpm which , if achieved by gear ratios ,increases the torque further. What should I do? Are my calculations wrong. is the rolling coefficient unrealisic? and is all is correct is okay to ignore a torque that is far more than that required?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignoring the torque problem will be fine as long as the new calculated torque isn't strong enough to hurt somebody.

1. How do I determine the appropriate motor size for my sliding door?

The appropriate motor size for a sliding door depends on the weight and size of the door. You will need to measure the weight and dimensions of your door and consult with a motor sizing chart to determine the appropriate motor size.

2. What type of motor is best for a sliding door?

The best type of motor for a sliding door is a DC motor with a worm gear drive. This type of motor provides smooth and quiet operation, as well as precise control over the door's movement.

3. Can I use a standard motor for my sliding door?

No, standard motors are not suitable for use with sliding doors. Sliding doors require specialized motors that are designed to handle the weight and size of the door, as well as the constant movement.

4. How do I know if my sliding door needs a motor?

If your sliding door is difficult to open or close manually, or if it is frequently used and requires a lot of effort to operate, then it may benefit from a motor. Motors can make opening and closing sliding doors much easier and more convenient.

5. How do I install a motor for my sliding door?

The installation process for a motor on a sliding door will vary depending on the specific motor and door. It is best to consult the manufacturer's instructions for the motor and door, or seek the help of a professional to ensure proper installation.