Trying to find the appropriate motor for a sliding door .Please help

• Engineering
  • Thread starter CuriousNotion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Sliding
In summary, the assignment is to create a sliding door with a working motor and mechanical and structure calculations. However, there have been difficulties in finding an appropriate motor for the sliding door movement due to the weight of the doors being 80kg and the entire weight being supported by a track with steel wheels connected to a steel rail. The rolling coefficient of the steel wheels to steel rails is 0.001, resulting in a force of 1.5696N needed for the belt to pull the door. The torque needed is 0.047088 (N/m)Newton-metres, which is higher than most motors found, but can potentially be adjusted with gear ratios. There are questions about the accuracy of the calculations and the possibility
CuriousNotion
My assignment is to create a sliding door with working motor,mechanical and structure calculations. However I keep having trouble when finding the appropriate motor for the sliding door movement. The doors are both 80kg (Which is 784 Newtons). The entire weight is taken is supported by the track with steel wheels that is connected to a steel rail (to prevent the pulling of the driving belt, altogether it is 1568 Newtons for the doors). this the rolling co-efficient of the steel wheels to steel rails is around 0.001.

So the force needed for the belt to pull the door is

F.c = (1568 x 0.001)=1.5696N

The diameter of the belt pulley is 3 cm so the torque needed is

Torque=force x radius = 1.5696 x 0.03 =0.047088 (N/m)Newton-metres.

Nearly all the motors I have found are over 1 (N/m) of torque but very high rpm (which I need to convert to a lower rpm which , if achieved by gear ratios ,increases the torque further. What should I do? Are my calculations wrong. is the rolling coefficient unrealisic? and is all is correct is okay to ignore a torque that is far more than that required?

Physics news on Phys.org
heron_ani.gif

Related to Trying to find the appropriate motor for a sliding door .Please help

1. What type of motor should I use for a sliding door?

The type of motor you should use for a sliding door will depend on the weight and size of your door, as well as the level of automation you are looking for. Generally, a DC motor with a worm gear mechanism is a good choice for sliding doors.

2. How much horsepower do I need for a sliding door motor?

The amount of horsepower needed for a sliding door motor will vary depending on the weight of your door. As a general rule, you should aim for a motor with at least 1/2 horsepower for residential sliding doors and 1 horsepower for commercial sliding doors.

3. Can I use a regular door motor for a sliding door?

No, a regular door motor is not suitable for a sliding door. Sliding doors require specific motors with a different type of mechanism and power to properly operate. Using a regular door motor can cause damage to the door and the motor itself.

4. What is the best voltage for a sliding door motor?

The best voltage for a sliding door motor will depend on the specific motor and its power requirements. However, most sliding door motors operate on 12V or 24V DC power. It is important to check the voltage requirements of the motor before purchasing.

5. Do I need to consider the speed of the motor when choosing one for my sliding door?

Yes, the speed of the motor is an important factor to consider when choosing one for a sliding door. The speed should be compatible with the weight and size of your door to ensure smooth and efficient operation. Additionally, some motors offer variable speed options, which can provide more control over the door's movements.