1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to find the radius of convergence of this complicated infinite series

1. Mar 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

k is a positive integer.

[itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{(n!)^{k+2}*x^{n}}{((k+2)n)!}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea.. this is too confusing. I tried the ratio test (which is the only way I know how to deal with factorials) but I get stuck at the following

lim n->[itex]\infty[/itex] of | x(n+1)[itex]^{k+2}[/itex][itex]\frac{[(k+2)n]!}{[(k+2)(n+1)]!}[/itex] |

I can't seem to find a way to cancel out the factorials in the fractional portion of that

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2
    Here's a thought. k is just some positive integer, right? The issue of convergence of a series arises in the "tail" of the series - that is, if you want to look at the convergence of [itex]\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\ a_n x^n[/itex], you could just as easily look at the convergence of [itex]\sum_{i=N}^{\infty}\ a_n x^n[/itex]. With that in mind, try splitting the series into n < k and n > k to simplify things slightly. Also you can drop the absolute values around those factorials, since they're positive.

4. Mar 9, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try and focus on the problem by doing the special case k=0. Then try k=1. Can you generalize?

5. Mar 9, 2012 #4
    When I cancel factorials, I usually expand the factorial into maybe three or more factors, e.g. [tex]n!=n(n-1)(n-2)...[/tex] and [itex](n-1)!=(n-1)(n-2)...[/itex]

Then it is clear that [itex]\frac{n!}{(n-1)!}=n[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook