1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tuning Fork and a Tube of Water - Check My Work!

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone, just me doing my regular Thursday Physics homework and looking for someone to check my work.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A tuning fork with a frequency of f=528Hz is placed near the top of a tube. The water level is lowered so that the length L slowly increases from an initial value of 20.0cm. Determine the next two values of L that correspond to resonant nodes. Assume the speed of sound in air is 343m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    I used v=fλ

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I did λ=343/528, which gave me λ=0.650m.

Since I know that resonance occurs when length is L/4, 3L/4, 5L/4, and so on, I did
    0.650(1/4)=0.162m
    0.650(3/4)=0.487m

And finally, I added those lengths to the initial 20m, making the next 2 values of L 20.162m and 20.487m.

This just seems a little too simple for a 10 point problem, and I would just appreciate if someone could tell me if I am missing an item or something. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

It says 20cm, not 20m.

Even so, I don't think your reasoning is quite right. Presuming that L is the distance from the mouth of the tube to the water surface, the condition for resonance is that L=λ/4+nλ/2, not L/4+nL/2, which is what you wrote.

Can you do the rest?

4. Nov 29, 2012 #3
    Oh wow thank you for noticing that, now I am really glad I had someone check!
    Thank you for your help, you're right that I should have done L=λ/4. I was reading the equation wrong, and the one I was given claimed L was wavelength and entirely ignored lambda, so shame on them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook