Turning a vector into a vector function of time

In summary: V(t) is a perfectly good function. V(t) = |V(t)|V(t)/|V(t)| is also a perfectly good function. |V(t)| is the (constant) magnitude of V(t), and V(t)/|V(t)| is the (unit) direction of V(t). V(t) is a perfectly good function. as in V = 12x + 4y?Yes, V(t) = 12i + 4j can be written as V(x) = 12x + 4y. In this case x and y are the components of the vector V(t), which can be thought of as a point in the plane having coordinates (x, y).
Timothy S

Homework Statement

[/B]
A Velocity vector: V = (12,4)

write the vector as a vector function of Displacement.

2. The attempt at a solution

I integrated the components of the Vector and got the function S(t) = (S(12t), S(4t))

I this correct at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Timothy S said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

2. The attempt at a solution

I integrated the components of the Vector and got the function S(t) = (S(12t), S(4t))

I this correct at all?

This cannot be answered because the notation S(12t), etc., is undefined.

why?

Timothy S said:
why?

Why what?
(1) Why the notation is undefined? The answer is: because you have not defined it.
(2) Why I can't answer the question? Because---as I have already said---I have no idea what you mean by what you wrote.

Timothy S said:
Do you mean S(t) = <12t, 4t>?
If so, don't forget you need the constant of integration.

Ray, I asked why because I literally have no idea what I'm talking about.

Mark, from V = 12x + 4y, am i allowed to turn it into that function that you wrote.

Timothy S said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

Is this the exact and full problem statement? It sounds a bit odd.

I made it up myself.

Timothy S said:
Ray, I asked why because I literally have no idea what I'm talking about.

Mark, from V = 12x + 4y, am i allowed to turn it into that function that you wrote.

You say you literally have no idea what you are talking about. So, let's look at that.If you are told a function f(t) for x-displacement, say x = f(t), can you figure out from that how to obtain velocity? Can you go backwards: given a velocity function g(t), so that v = g(t), can you figure out from that how to get displacement x = f(t)? [In a nutshell, that is what you are being asked to do in this problem.]If the answers to both (or even one) of these questions is NO, you need to upgrade your background. You can Google “displacement and velocity” to find numerous articles on these issues.

Wait a minute.

I can breakup the vector into:

Vx = 12

and

Vy = 4

these can easy be described as a function. a constant function of velocity. I can find the integral of the function V(t) = 12, and turn it into S(t) = 12t

and furthermore, from S(x) = x, which is a function of displacement, I CAN find the function for instantaneous velocity by simply finding the derivative. The answer is, it has no velocity as the function is constant.

Timothy S said:
You could have V(t) = 12i + 4j, which would be the same as V(t) = <12, 4>. i and j are the unit vectors in the direction of the positive x- and y-axes.
Timothy S said:
Wait a minute.

I can breakup the vector into:

Vx = 12

and

Vy = 4

these can easy be described as a function. a constant function of velocity. I can find the integral of the function V(t) = 12, and turn it into S(t) = 12t
Is this a different example? Above you have Vx = 12, and now you have V(t) = 12. This would be incorrect if V(t) = <12, 4>.

If you really mean Vx(t), the x-component of velocity, then Sx(t) = 12t + C1. As I said before, you have to add the constant of integration.

Timothy S said:
and furthermore, from S(x) = x, which is a function of displacement, I CAN find the function for instantaneous velocity by simply finding the derivative. The answer is, it has no velocity as the function is constant.
This makes no sense. If you're talking about displacement and velocity, the independent variable should be t, not x. Having said that, if S(x) = x, then S'(x) = 1 represents the "velocity" here, a constant velocity, which is not the same as "no velocity."

I get what your saying. S(x) = x was meant to be a position function. The point is i wanted to turn the velocity vector into a function. that's all. I didn't know if that's even possible.

Timothy S said:
I get what your saying. S(x) = x was meant to be a position function. The point is i wanted to turn the velocity vector into a function. that's all. I didn't know if that's even possible.
V(t) = <12, 4> is a vector-valued function, albeit one that produces a vector constant. Or in slightly different form, V(t) = 12i + 4j.

1. How do you turn a vector into a vector function of time?

To turn a vector into a vector function of time, you would need to consider the components of the vector as functions of time. This means that each component of the vector will have a different value at different points in time, making it a function of time.

2. What is the purpose of turning a vector into a vector function of time?

The purpose of turning a vector into a vector function of time is to represent the changing nature of the vector over time. It allows for a more accurate description of the vector by taking into account its varying components at different points in time.

3. Can any vector be turned into a vector function of time?

Yes, any vector can be turned into a vector function of time as long as its components are dependent on time. Vectors that are constant over time do not need to be turned into a vector function of time.

4. What is the mathematical process for turning a vector into a vector function of time?

The mathematical process involves expressing the vector's components as functions of time and combining them into a single vector function with time as the independent variable. This can be done using parametric equations or in terms of a variable.

5. How does turning a vector into a vector function of time relate to calculus?

Turning a vector into a vector function of time involves the use of calculus, specifically derivatives and integrals. These mathematical operations allow for the determination of the rate of change and area under the curve, which are important concepts in understanding the behavior of a vector over time.