TV Digital aerial with Tin foil to improve signal.

  • Thread starter Thread starter sammmz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Digital Signal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
sammmz
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello!
This is my first post here! :)

I was just wondering, after experimenting with an indoor TV aerial, Wrapping Tin foil around the base, ensuring contact with the main metal conductor, I found that it improves the signal by around 5 times! (Positioned correctly of course).
I was just wondering why this is not a particulary used solution for improving the signal? And does it work by transfering the collected electromagnetic waves of digital to the aerial, basically capitalising on a far larger surface area?

I look forward to your responces!

Luke :smile:
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Indoor TV aerials come in dozens of different types. (Try Google images for a wonderful set of weird devices).

However they are all pretty inefficient, although they may do an adequate job in strong signal areas.

Sometimes a minor change might cause a large apparent change in the TV picture but the efficiency may only have changed from being 2 % to 5 % as good as an external antenna.

It is great that you found something that works in your case, but the doing the same to a similar antenna in a different location may not give the same benefits.