Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twin Grain Boundary and Symmetric Tilt Grain boundary.

  1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    Is there a difference between Twin grain boundary and symmetric tilt grain boundary?
    If so, what is it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2009 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Good question. I must admit I've never heard of "twin GB" before until you asked this question (at first I thought you were asking about "twinned GB" which is something else).
    From what I can tell it looks like another name for a symmetric GB.

    I guess there could be a "practical" difference. When people talk about symmetric GB they can also mean e.g. artificial GB which are by no means "perfect" at the atomic scale (there is lots of faceting), when I google "Twin GB" I seem to get a lot of hits where people are discussing dislocations on the microscale in e.g. Si.
    Hence, it could be two different names for -what in principle- is the same thing; it wouldn't be the first time different research communities came up with different names for the same thing.

    I am curious what someone who uses "twin GB" would call an asymmetric GB?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook