Twin paradox on another planet

In summary, the twin paradox states that if two identical twins are sent off into space, one on Earth and one on a different planet, the twin on Earth will age more than the twin on the other planet. To avoid this discrepancy, the twin on Earth would have to travel to the planet frequently - every 15 years or so.
i-am
Hello!

I'm new here, and already did a search. Sorry if the answer is elsewhere, I just couldn't find it!

I'm writing a sci-fi novel and have been brushing up on general and special relativity.

I'm running into a small problem with the twin paradox, and how to describe it from another planets point of view. Maybe I'm not understanding it because I have the math wrong, so please bear with me.

Disregard speeding up and slowing down, Earth math goes:

if

t=2d/v

then if the travel distance between two planets is 6 light years and we are traveling at .8c, then

t=2(6)/.8c= then t=15

So 15 years of travel time @ 80% the speed of light from Earth to Planet A.

if the Lorentz factor holds
fba9a3a968db9bd8a8c0990b21406175.png
then E=.6 as the time aged on ships clocks and and travelers age.

So the pilot of the ship would have aged 6 years, but on Earth people would have aged 15 years by the time the traveler would have reached planet A.

I'm sorry if this is incorrect. I haven't taken a physics class in a long time and I'm getting a lot of this math from wiki, and other various websites.

But if I am on Planet B, and I have 30 hours in a day, and 487 days in a year, then will all the math above still hold?

If light travels at 186282 miles per second no matter what planet one is on, and I am on Planet B trying to make sense of the twin paradox for the first time, will my traveling twin still have only aged 6 years, and I 15, planet B time?

For some reason this doesn't make sense in my head.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing something else here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out.

Still would like a double check though.

All I would have to do is divide:

days in a year on Earth / days in a year on Planet B

365/487 = .7494 or .75 for easiness sakes.

So if time passed on ship is 6 years, then 6 x .75 = 4.5

So if time passed on Earth is 15 years, then 15 x .75 = 11.25.

Planet B would have aged 11.25 years, for their day/night/year cycle. And according to planet B's time cycle, age on ship would have only been 4.5 years.

Correct?

And I'm assuming if Planet B has no idea of "Earth" time cycles, then a physicist greater than I will ever be would have to figure out the other stuff?

I don't know why you have that factor of 2 in there. It seems to me that in the earth/planet rest frame it will take 7.5 years and 4.5 years on the ship's clock.

ghwellsjr said:
I don't know why you have that factor of 2 in there. It seems to me that in the earth/planet rest frame it will take 7.5 years and 4.5 years on the ship's clock.

Thank you!

I think what I was doing was the factor of 2 was for the round trip I had been calculating at first, then for some reason I forgot to take it out of the equation.

So, yes, you are correct.

But then I would just 7.5 x .75 and on planet B it would see 5.62 years have passed? Correct?

Thank you for that. I've been trying to figure out why it would take so long for a one way trip! And the whole time my cheat sheet was for round trips, and not for just a straight, single distance :)

Now you're asking about non-relativistic issues but I don't know why you mentioned the 30-hour day if you're not going to use it in your conversion. To avoid confusion, you should always say "earth-hour" or "planet-hour" so that your audience knows what your intention is.

1. What is the Twin Paradox on another planet?

The Twin Paradox on another planet is a thought experiment in physics that explores the effects of time dilation on twins who are separated and experience different rates of time due to their relative speeds. It is often used to explain the concepts of special relativity and the idea that time is relative.

2. How does the Twin Paradox on another planet work?

The Twin Paradox on another planet works by imagining one twin staying on Earth while the other twin travels to a distant planet at a high speed. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin on Earth due to the effects of time dilation. This is because the traveling twin experienced time at a slower rate due to their high speed, while the twin on Earth experienced time at a normal rate.

3. What is the significance of the Twin Paradox on another planet?

The Twin Paradox on another planet is significant because it helps us understand the concept of time dilation and how time is relative. It also shows that time can pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative speeds. This has important implications for space travel and our understanding of the universe.

4. Is the Twin Paradox on another planet a real phenomenon?

Yes, the Twin Paradox on another planet is a real phenomenon that has been observed and verified through experiments and calculations. While it may seem counterintuitive, it is a well-established concept in physics and has been confirmed by numerous experiments, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Twin Paradox on another planet?

While the Twin Paradox on another planet is primarily used as a thought experiment to explain the concepts of special relativity, it also has practical applications in fields such as space travel and GPS technology. Understanding the effects of time dilation is crucial for accurate navigation and communication in space, and the principles of the Twin Paradox are essential for making these systems work.