1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Twin paradox

1. Jul 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the twins paradox, suppose that Florence begins at rest beside Methuselah, then accelerates in Methuselah’s x-direction with an acceleration a equal to one Earth gravity, “1g”, for a time ##T_F/4## as measured by her, then accelerates in the −x-direction at 1g for a time ##T_F/2## thereby reversing her motion, and then accelerates in the +x-direction at 1g for a time ##T_F/4## thereby returning to rest beside Methuselah. Show that the total time lapse as measured by Methuselah is:
    $$T_M=\frac{4}{g}\sinh{(\frac{gT_F}{4})}$$

2. Relevant equations
    (1) ##T_F=\int d\tau = \int\sqrt{dt^2-\delta_{ij}dx^idx^j}=\int_0^{T_M}\sqrt{1-v^2}dt## where ##d\tau## is proper time of Florence

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to integrate (1) with ##v=gt## but I have got some crazy result with ArcSin and square root. It is impossible to extract ##T_M##.
    Is my procedure generally wrong? Or it exists some better way how get result for this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not the correct equation for the velocity ##v## of Florence relative to Methuselah. According to Methuselah, Florence does not have a constant acceleration during the first quarter of the trip. (Note that your equation would make ##v## become greater than the speed of light for large enough ##t##.)

Florence "feels" a constant acceleration of g, but g is not the acceleration of Florence relative to Methuselah's frame. g is the acceleration of Florence relative to an inertial reference frame that is instantaneously co-moving with Florence.

Have you studied how accelerations transform between inertial frames?

4. Jul 24, 2017 #3
    Ou I forgot it. Transformation of acceleration is ##a=\frac{a'}{\gamma^3(1+v'\beta)^3}##. And velocity of Florence in her own frame is ##v'=0##. Right?
    And ##v=gt##, may I use only becouse ##gt<<c## is it true?
    But still there is ##\beta## in transformation of ##a##, but now ##\beta## is not constant. May I write ##\beta=gt##?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  5. Jul 24, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.
    No, there is nothing in the problem statement that would allow you to make that approximation.
    With ##v'=0##, you have

##a=\frac{a'}{\gamma^3}##.

Write this out explicitly in terms of ##g##, ##v##, and ##dv/dt##.

6. Jul 24, 2017 #5
    Hmm... I thought that for accelerated motion ##u=\frac{at}{\sqrt{1-a^2t^2/c^2}}##.

7. Jul 24, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where did you get this formula? I believe there is a sign error in the denominator.
    What does ##a## represent here, the acceleration of Florence according to Florence, or the acceleration of Florence according to Methuselah? What does ##u## represent?

8. Jul 24, 2017 #7
    ##a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{a'}{\gamma^3}=(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}\frac{dv'}{dt'}=(1-g^2t^2)^{3/2}g## Right?

9. Jul 24, 2017 #8
    Yes...there should be + sign. Sorry.

How would it looks like? I can't imagine this situation. How can be Florence accelerated with respect to herself? In her frame she will be in rest, no?

So I mean ##a## and ##u## are acceleration and velocity of Florence measurred by Methuselah.

10. Jul 24, 2017 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cannot write ##\beta## as ##gt## because Florence does not have a constant acceleration ##g## relative to Methuselah.

Write ##\beta## as ##v## (since you are apparently letting ##c = 1##). You then have

##\frac{dv}{dt}=(1-v^2)^{3/2}g##. This is a differential equation whose solution will give you ##v(t)##.

It is helpful to rearrange it as ##\frac{1}{(1-v^2)^{3/2}}\frac{dv}{dt} = g##. The trick is to note that

##\frac{1}{(1-v^2)^{3/2}}\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{v}{(1-v^2)^{1/2}} \right)##

11. Jul 24, 2017 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, that would change your equation to

##u=\frac{at}{\sqrt{1+ a^2t^2/c^2}}##

So, ##u## is the same as ##v## that you used in your first post. OK.
    But the equation ##u=\frac{at}{\sqrt{1+ a^2t^2/c^2}}## is still not correct if you are saying that ##a## is the acceleration of Florence relative to Methuselah. The correct formula is ##u=\frac{a't}{\sqrt{1+ a'^2t^2/c^2}}## where ##a'## is the acceleration that Florence feels.

Good point. By "the acceleration of Florence according to Florence" I meant "the acceleration of Florence relative to an instantaneously co-moving inertial frame". That is, it's the acceleration ##g## that Florence feels.

12. Jul 24, 2017 #11
    Oooook :-) Now I understand, I have to be careful from what perspective are all variables taken.
    Thank you for a hint...it is helpful. So than I have ##v=\frac{gt}{\sqrt{1+g^2t^2}}##...nice.
    Now I perfectly understand also the previous point, thanks this particular example. And also YOU ;-)
    Now I put it in formula from #1 post and integrate...

13. Jul 24, 2017 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Good.

14. Jul 24, 2017 #13
    Unfortunately I have another problem, with limits of integral in #1. How to interpret that it stops after some part of time and go back.
    My result of integration is$$T_F=\frac{1}{g}(Arcsinh(gT2_M)-Arcsinh(gT1_M))$$

I suppose it doesn't matter of change of direction of velocity and also acceleration (it is seen from first formula where is ##v^2##. And from result, if ##g## changes sign doesn't matter, because of sinh is an odd function.) So a time lapse in first part and third part is same and limits of the integral are from ##0## to ##TM1## resp. ##TM3## and it is ##T_F/4##, but in second part it's different it travels half of Florence time ##T_F/2##. Where ##T_M=TM1+TM2+TM3##.
    What am I missing?

15. Jul 24, 2017 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Break it up into four intervals ##T_M=TM1+TM2+TM3 + TM4## where each interval lasts ##T_F/4## of proper time. Argue that each quarter contributes the same.

16. Jul 24, 2017 #15
    I understand, I thought about that, but I wasn't sure, wheather TM3 is same. Every of TMx starts with ##v=0## but TM3 starts with ##v\neq 0##. Actually I would say it isn't same, in #1 there is ##\int\sqrt{1-v^2}##.

17. Jul 24, 2017 #16

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##TM1## and ##TM3## start with ##v = 0## and end with ##v = v_{max}##.

##TM2## and ##TM4## start with ##v = v_{max}## and end with ##v = 0##.

18. Jul 24, 2017 #17
    I'm sorry I can't read :-) I've read it again and now I understand what the motion is.
    Now it is clear, THANK YOU very much.

19. Jul 24, 2017 #18

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted