Two batteries with inner resistor in parallel

Homework Statement:

two batteries A and B are connected in parallel, and an 80 ohm resistor is connected across the battery terminals. the e.m.f and the internal resistance of battery A are 100V and 5ohms respectively, and the corresponding values for battery B are 95V and 3ohms respectively.

Relevant Equations:

Calculate the value and direction of the current in each battery.
I am kind of stuck at this exercise and I would like some help.

Thanks a lot!

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Homework Statement: two batteries A and B are connected in parallel, and an 80 ohm resistor is connected across the battery terminals. the e.m.f and the internal resistance of battery A are 100V and 5ohms respectively, and the corresponding values for battery B are 95V and 3ohms respectively.
Homework Equations: Calculate the value and direction of the current in each battery.

I am kind of stuck at this exercise and I would like some help.

Thanks a lot!
Please draw the circuit and show us how you would set up the KCL equations. Thanks

Hi berkeman,

I started to calculate the terminal voltage, cause I thought that might help.
v= terminal voltage

(v/80) + (v-100)/5 + (v-95)/3 =0

v=94.66 V

with that, I calculated the current across the 80 ohm resistor:

I=v/R = 94.66/80 = 1.183

From the answer sheet, I know that this is correct as it is the sum of the individual currents in each battery.
But I do not know how to calculate it. I tried using the current divider rule, but it doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

berkeman
Mentor
Ah, sorry, the drawing helps a lot. I thought the resistor was in parallel with the mismatched batteries, so that's why I asked for the KCL equation(s).

Since it is just one loop per the figure, a KVL equation is the better fit. Can you write that equation to see if it helps? The current around the loop through the various components is the same, right?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Homework Statement: two batteries A and B are connected in parallel
As has been pointed out, they are then NOT in parallel. This is not just semantics. It is important to use proper terminology in science.

Likes berkeman