1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Blocks and a Pulley

1. Mar 13, 2009 #1

TG3

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m1 = 2 kg rests on a table with which it has a coefficient of friction µ = 0.75. A string attached to the block passes over a pulley to a block of mass m3 = 4 kg. The pulley is a uniform disk of mass m2 = 0.5 kg and radius 15 cm. As the mass m3 falls, the string does not slip on the pulley.
    With what acceleration does m3 fall?

2. Relevant equations
    Frictional Force = mew x normal
    F = MA
    Newtons' second law

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I could treat the pulley as a point and didn't have to pay attention to it this would be a cinch. To be honest, I don't know what to do with it at all, and I'm looking for some conceptual help here.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2

TG3

Much time later, I finally got the acceleration to be 3.9. The next question in this set is: what is the tension in the string above the table, and below the pulley. (They will be separate.)
    Now, since F=MA, I thought this would be easy. 3.9 x 4 = 15.6. It itsn't that easy, it turns out. Any ideas?

4. Mar 13, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, 15.6 N is the net force on the 4 kg mass.

This force is due to the string tension and what else?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook