1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two blocks sliding down a rough inclined plane

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    *****The problem statement, all variables and given/known data****

Two blocks, A and B, are sliding down an inclined (20 degrees) plane. Block A is sliding in front of block B with both of them touching. The blocks slide from a distance of 6.50m from the bottom (along the inclined plane, not the surface the plane rests on).

Block A has a mass of 5.00kg with a kinetic friction coefficient of .150.
    Block B has a mass of 10.00kg with a kinetic friction coefficient of .200.

Find the Acceleration of the blocks going down the plane.

What is the final velocity of Block A at the bottom?

----------------------------------------------

Attempt at solution consisted of starting with the FBD's of both blocks.

From this point here are my questions:

1) It doesn't seem like Block B is really putting any force on Block A going down the incline. Do I even need to consider it when finding my Net Force values in the x-direction? (I set the incline as the x-axis and perpendicular to it is the y-axis.

2) What would be the x-components of force?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    Given that the blocks slide together down the plane, you may consider the sum of the following equations:

magsinθ-Ffa+Fb→a=Fra

mbgsinθ-Ffb-Fa→b=Frb

→ mbgsinθ-Ffb-Fa→b+magsinθ-Ffa+Fb→a=Fra+Frb

By Newton's third law, those forces cancel each other out since they have the same magnitude but opposite directions, and so:

(ma+mb)gsinθ-Ffb-Ffa=Fr(a+b)

Now the force of friction is given by the following equation (with μ being the coefficient of kinetic friction and N the force exerted by the plane on the block):

Ff=-μN

(Note that: N=mgcosθ)

Substitute and you get:

(ma+mb)gsinθ-(maμa+mbμb)cosθ=Fr(a+b)

By Newton's second law, use F=ma and complete the problem using cinematics:

x(t)=x0+v0t+(1/2)at2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook