Two Blocks with rope and Pulley on Inclined Plane

In summary: So the equation becomes-Tcos\theta+Ncos\theta=-m_{1}acos\theta.Now, for the y-component, you take "up and to the right" as positive. That means the y-component of the tension must be positive. So the equation becomes-Tsin\theta+Nsin\theta-m_{1}g=m_{1}asin\theta.Finally, you have to solve for m1. m1=-Tcos\theta+Ncos\theta=0.
Dahaka14

Homework Statement

This is a problem that I am trying to help my friend with. I understand how to solve this problem the traditional way by rotating the axes of the block on the inclined plane, but then my friend asked me to show him how the answer is the same with non-rotated axes.
There are two blocks connected by a rope that goes over a pulley, one block of mass m[tex]_{2}[/tex] hanging by the rope over the edge, and the other block of mass m[tex]_{1}[/tex] on the inclined plane. Given the angle of the plane with the horizontal, and without any type of friction, find the tension in the rope and the acceleration of the two blocks.

Homework Equations

m[tex]_{1}[/tex]=5kg
m[tex]_{2}[/tex]=10kg
[tex]\theta[/tex]=40[tex]^{0}[/tex]
[tex]\sum[/tex]F[tex]_{x:m[tex]_{1}[/tex]}[/tex]=Tcos[tex]\theta[/tex]+Ncos[tex]\theta[/tex]=-m[tex]_{1}[/tex]acos[tex]\theta[/tex]
[tex]\sum[/tex]F[tex]_{y:m[tex]_{1}[/tex]}[/tex]=Tsin[tex]\theta[/tex]+Nsin[tex]\theta[/tex]-m[tex]_{1}[/tex]g=m[tex]_{1}[/tex]asin[tex]\theta[/tex]
[tex]\sum[/tex]F[tex]_{x:m[tex]_{2}[/tex]}[/tex]=0
[tex]\sum[/tex]F[tex]_{y:m[tex]_{2}[/tex]}[/tex]=T-m[tex]_{2}[/tex]g=-m[tex]_{2}[/tex]a

The Attempt at a Solution

I somehow get the Tsin[tex]\theta[/tex]'s to cancel when dividing the force equations to eliminate the m[tex]_{1}[/tex]a's. Maybe it's just the end of the day and I'm tired and suck at this. Can someone please help?[tex]_{}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Careful with the signs of the components of N and the acceleration. (Make sure your signs for the acceleration are consistent.)

Well, i made the acceleration of m1 positive y (+sine) and negative x (-cosine) because it is moving "up and to the right." My normal force is acting "up and to the left," so it has a positive y and positive x orientation. The difference is that m2 has an acceleration in the negative y direction. Does this sound like it would be correct? If you need me to, I can explicitly write out what I did, but if you don't need me to I won't because the tex can get tedious.

Dahaka14 said:
Well, i made the acceleration of m1 positive y (+sine) and negative x (-cosine) because it is moving "up and to the right."
OK. For some reason, you take "to the left" as positive. No problem, just be consistent. That means that the x-component of the tension must be negative.

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of the two blocks?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the motion of the two blocks by changing the direction and magnitude of the force of gravity acting on the blocks. As the angle increases, the force of gravity acting on the blocks becomes more parallel to the surface of the inclined plane, making it easier for the blocks to slide down.

2. What is the purpose of the pulley in this system?

The pulley in this system serves as a way to redirect and redistribute the force of gravity acting on the two blocks. By using a pulley, the force of gravity is split between the two blocks, making it easier for them to move up and down the inclined plane.

3. How does the mass of the blocks affect the motion of the system?

The mass of the blocks affects the motion of the system by determining how much force is needed to move the blocks up or down the inclined plane. Heavier blocks require more force to move, while lighter blocks require less force. This also affects the acceleration of the blocks, with heavier blocks accelerating more slowly than lighter blocks.

4. What is the relationship between the acceleration of the two blocks?

The acceleration of the two blocks is related to their masses and the angle of the inclined plane. The heavier block will have a slower acceleration than the lighter block, and as the angle of the inclined plane increases, the acceleration of both blocks will also increase.

5. How does friction play a role in the motion of the two blocks on the inclined plane?

Friction can play a role in the motion of the two blocks on the inclined plane, as it can act to slow down or stop the movement of the blocks. This can be seen when the blocks are sliding down the inclined plane, with friction acting in the opposite direction of their motion and causing them to slow down. The amount of friction present can also depend on the surface of the inclined plane and the materials of the blocks and the pulley.