Two bodies hanging from pulley

In summary: It is consistent with the direction of the force as being locally positive (which it is). Method 2 is more general, allowing for different amounts of acceleration for each mass. Method 3 is the simplest and most straightforward.
rudransh verma said:
Why do you say that?
Because it is true. The combined mass is not a compact body. It does not have a well-defined position. Which leaves the first and second derivatives of position likewise undefined.

Physics news on Phys.org
jbriggs444 said:
Because it is true. The combined mass is not a compact body. It does not have a well-defined position. Which leaves the first and second derivatives of position likewise undefined.
Ok. Then yes center of mass

rudransh verma said:
Ok. Then yes center of mass
OK. Suppose that you have this ##a_\text{cm}## defined.

Can you write an equation for ##a_1## and ##a_2## in terms of ##a_\text{cm}##? And do you really want to go down this road to solve the problem?

jbriggs444 said:
OK. Suppose that you have this ##a_\text{cm}## defined.

Can you write an equation for ##a_1## and ##a_2## in terms of ##a_\text{cm}##? And do you really want to go down this road to solve the problem?
No! I don’t. But I think if I get the resultant force and combined mass then I can find the acceleration a of mass 1 , mass2, center of mass, etc .All will be same.

rudransh verma said:
No! I don’t. But I think if I get the resultant force and combined mass then I can find the acceleration a of mass 1 , mass2, center of mass, etc .All will be same.
I believe that the problem can be attacked in this manner. It is not a wise approach. But it is possible.

You will have to account for the force from the pulley. This is currently an unknown that does not appear in your equations. More unknowns. More equations. More stuff to solve. Not ideal.

We can write one equation down. ##\sum F = ma## $$-gm_1 + -gm_2 + F_\text{pr} = (m_1+m_2)a_\text{cm}$$Here ##F_\text{pr}## denotes the net force of the pulley on the rope.

rudransh verma said:
For information, I get:
##a_1 = +2m/s^2##
##a_2 = -2m/s^2##
##a_{cm} = -0.4m/s^2##
Three different values!

(If you wamt to find ##a_{cm}## for yourself, here’s a hint: the pulley is not accelerating so the upwards force on it equals 2T where T is the tension. The total downwards force on the system is ##m_1g + m_2g##.)

Likes jbriggs444
Steve4Physics said:
For information, I get:
a1=+2m/s2
a2=−2m/s2
acm=−0.4m/s2
Three different values!
I am currently on topic laws of motion. So let’s not introduce center of anything.o0)

Likes hutchphd
Steve4Physics said:
Method 3 (for acceleration).
Realise the magnitude of acceleration is the same as that of a total mass of M=m1+m2 accelerated by a force, F, which is the difference in weights (F=(m2–m1)g). Then use F=Ma. That gives the acceleration very simply; then you can easily find tension if required.
To be clear since the tension is same and opposite(even though it doesn't look in the diagram) the net force is simply the difference of the weights and we can say the system will move in the direction of heavier weight.
But this is not always true as in the case of incline with two masses one hanging from the pulley and other kept on the incline.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/two-blocks-a-pulley-and-an-inclined-plane.1011992/

Attachments

• ertyre.jpg
    ertyre.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 51
rudransh verma said:
To be clear since the tension is same and opposite(even though it doesn't look in the diagram) the net force is simply the difference of the weights and we can say the system will move in the direction of heavier weight.
But this is not always true as in the case of incline with two masses one hanging from the pulley and other kept on the incline.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/two-blocks-a-pulley-and-an-inclined-plane.1011992/
'Method 3' (in Post #13) is for solving Atwood Machine problems with both masses hanging vertically.

However if one or both masses are on an incline, Method 3 can easily be modified.

If ##m_1## and ##m_2## are on inclines of ##θ_1## and ##θ_2## (to the horizontal) respectively, we must consider the downhill component of each weight: ##m_1gsinθ_1## and ##m_2gsinθ_2##.

For example if ##m_1gsinθ_1 > m_2gsinθ_2## then ##m_1## accelerates downhill.

(To get the direction, you don’t actually need to include 'g' as it cancels; you can just compare ##m_1sin θ_1## and ##m_2sinθ_2##.)

The net accelerating force is ##(m_1sin θ_1 – m_2sinθ_2)g##.

Note:
If ##θ_1=θ_2=90º## we have the Atwood machine.
If ##θ_1=0## and ##θ_2=90º## we have ##m_1## on a horizontal surface and ##m_2## hanging vertically.

Steve4Physics said:
'Method 3' (in Post #13) is for solving Atwood Machine problems with both masses hanging vertically.
I am not talking about this method. I am asking you to verify what I said.

rudransh verma said:
I am not talking about this method. I am asking you to verify what I said.
So you are asking for a verification of of the correctness of:
rudransh verma said:
Yes, correct for a single pulley from which two weights are suspended vertically.

Strictly speaking, the system will "accelerate" in this direction and will "move" in that direction if it begins at rest.

And you want a verification of:
rudransh verma said:
Yes. If one or both of the masses slides down a slope (with or without friction), things are more complicated. The heavier weight may not always accelerate down-slope. Or, if friction is high enough, may not move at all.

jbriggs444 said:
Yes, correct for a single pulley from which two weights are suspended vertically
Thanks 😊
Steve4Physics said:
The net accelerating force is (m1sinθ1–m2sinθ2)g.
yes! I got you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 62
@jbriggs444 I have another question. We know acceleration due to gravity is the acceleration which every body follows no matter what the mass. Both falls at same rate and touch the ground at same time. So why now its changed? Why heavier mass or the incline angle changes this phenomenon? ( and let's assume the friction on incline is zero)

Attachments

• 00000788.jpg
    00000788.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 63
rudransh verma said:
@jbriggs444 I have another question. We know acceleration due to gravity is the acceleration which every body follows no matter what the mass. Both falls at same rate and touch the ground at same time. So why now its changed? Why heavier mass or the incline angle changes this phenomenon? ( and let's assume the friction on incline is zero)
Newton's second law.

##\sum F = ma## If you add up all the forces and divide by the mass, you can solve for the acceleration.

If the only force is gravity then ##\sum F = mg## and ##\sum F = ma## and ##a = g##.

If there are other forces involved such as from strings and inclined planes then acceleration can vary. That is why a mass sitting on a table does not fall through the table at 9.8 meters per second per second.

Likes Lnewqban
jbriggs444 said:
If there are other forces involved such as from strings and inclined planes than acceleration can vary. That is why a mass sitting on a table does not fall through the table at 9.8 meters per second per second.
I felt something else. Sometimes you know the answer but even then you overthink and ask silly question.

Likes Lnewqban