Two cannons, different heights and initial velocities

In summary, two cannons, A and B, are fired horizontally with B having a higher initial velocity than A. The question is whether the projectiles can collide if they are fired at the same time, or if B can delay his shot to ensure a collision. To prove a collision is not possible, it is necessary to show that the y-coordinates of the projectiles cannot be the same. Since both projectiles are fired horizontally, their initial velocities in the y-direction are zero and thus their y-coordinates will not change. Therefore, it is not possible for the projectiles to collide. However, for the second question, it is possible for B to delay his shot and for a collision to occur if both projectiles fall to the same level. The
Walter303

Homework Statement

Two cannons(A at inital height h; B at initial heigt h/2) fire(horizontally), B firing with higher velocity than A.

Homework Equations

1) If they fire at the same time, is it possible that the projectiles collide?
2) Is it possible for B to delay his shot so that his projectile always collides with A's?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Their x and y coordinates must be the same in case of collision.
xA(t) = xB(t)

x0 + v0A*t = x0 + u*v0A*t
("u" is a positive constant. B's velocity is greater than A's)
v0A = v0B
(but v0A and v0B are different)
I'm not sure about what I should do next...2) I mean, I can get a certain example, but I can't seem to find any formal explanation. For example,
v0A = 10 m/s
v0B = 20 m/s
If B delays the shot by 1 s(tA = 2 s):
v0A*tA = v0B*tB
10*2 = 20*1
then it's possible

Physics news on Phys.org
Walter303 said:
1) Their x and y coordinates must be the same in case of collision.

Correct. , however if you can prove that the two y co-ordinates can't be the same then you have proved they cannot collide (without needing to think about the x co-ordinates at all). What does the motion in y look like?

CWatters said:
Correct. , however if you can prove that the two y co-ordinates can't be the same then you have proved they cannot collide (without needing to think about the x co-ordinates at all). What does the motion in y look like?

They both fire horizontally, so the initial velocity(in y) for both is zero:

h - (1/2)g*t^2 = h/2 - (1/2)*g*t^2

h = h/2

So, it seems that they can't collide. Still, I know there's something wrong here, I just don't know what...

This is a variation of the "monkey and the hunter" problem.
If A were aiming at B and B firing level then both bullets would fall the same amount away from the line of fire.
Now, for the second question try
1/2 g tx^2 + g tx * tB + 1/2 g tB^2 = h/2 + 1/2 g tB^2 where tx is the time that bullet A had been falling before bullet B was fired.
This requires both bullets to fall to the same level for collision to occur.
The times involved depend on the separation of the cannons and the speeds of the bullets.

" A were aiming at B and B firing level" - I think this should be if "A were aiming at B and B aiming at A"
Then both bullets would fall the same distance from the "line of fire" in time t and would end at the same
height at time t (whatever that is)

1. What is the difference between initial velocity and height in regards to two cannons?

The initial velocity refers to the speed at which an object is launched or fired from the cannon. It is typically measured in meters per second. The height, on the other hand, refers to the vertical distance from the ground to the point at which the cannon is fired. It is typically measured in meters.

2. How do the initial velocities of two cannons affect their trajectories?

The initial velocities of two cannons can greatly affect their trajectories. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer distance traveled and a flatter trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter distance traveled and a steeper trajectory.

3. Can two cannons with the same initial velocity have different heights and still produce the same trajectory?

Yes, two cannons with the same initial velocity can have different heights and still produce the same trajectory. This is because the initial velocity is only one factor in determining the trajectory, and the height also plays a significant role.

4. How does the height of a cannon affect its maximum range?

The height of a cannon can affect its maximum range in several ways. A higher cannon will have a longer range, as gravity will have less of an effect on the projectile. Additionally, a higher cannon may have a better line of sight, allowing for more accurate aiming and greater range.

5. What other factors besides initial velocity and height can affect the trajectory of two cannons?

There are several other factors that can affect the trajectory of two cannons, such as air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the weight and shape of the projectile. These factors can all alter the path of the projectile and must be taken into consideration when analyzing the trajectory of two cannons.