1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two closely related questions about current density

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1
    *The problem statement

The second question kinda builds on the first and I am not too confident my solution to the first is correct.

1: A disk has a uniform surface charge density and is rotated at a rate 'w'. Find 'K'.

2: A uniformly charged sphere ('ρ') is spun. Find the current density.

*Relevant equations
    K=surface current density = σ*v
    J = volume current density = ρ*v

*The attempt at a solution

1: ω= the linear (tangental?) velocity of a point on this disk / radius, so v=wr

then K = ωr*σ , and is oriented in the ∅ direction

2: for a spinning sphere, the velocity of the charge is the same as above except v=0 on the axis of rotation for any r.

so if i let the z axis be the axis of rotation, and let r = r(cos∅+sin∅), and v=wr(cos∅+sin∅)

then J = ρwr(cos∅+sin∅), oriented in ∅ direction

yea thats my attempt at the solution. I think my answers make sense, but most homework problems I am assigned require more than 2 lines of work so it is not unlikley that i am missing something.

thanks in advance for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's correct.

The speed of a point in the sphere depends on its distance from the axis of rotation. If the axis of rotation is the z-axis, what's the distance of a point (r, θ, φ) from the z-axis?

4. Jan 8, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Kind of a strange question.
    The current di passing by an arbitrary elemental radial length dr at r, 0 < r < R is
    di = σrω dr
    so the corresponding elemental current crossing dr is a function of r
    and the only meaning for current density must be the current per unit radial length, or
    di/dr = σrω which has units of current per unit length.

The total current is i = ∫di = σω∫r dr from 0 to R = σω(R^2)/2 so you could say an average current density is σω(R^2)/2R = σωR/2. The last also has units of current per unit length, the same units as the OP's "K".

But really current density varies from 0 to σωR as we go from the center (r=0) to the edge (r=R) of the disk.

I won't even try for the 2nd part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook