Two coils of wire with the same size and shape

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the expression for the coupling coefficient of two coils of wire with the same shape and dimensions, but different numbers of windings. The problem states that when there is a constant current in the first coil and no current in the second coil, the flux through both coils is equal. The coupling coefficient, k, is defined as the fraction of flux generated by coil 1 that is coupled into coil 2. The conversation also mentions the possibility of 100% coupling in one direction, but less than 100% in the other direction.
cdummie

Homework Statement

Two coils of wire that have same shape and dimensions are thickly rolled up so that the coincide, they only differ in number of coils (windings) N1 for the firs one and N2 for the second one (N1<N2). When there's constant current in the first one and there's no current in the second one then fluxes through those two coils are the same. Determine the expression for coupling coefficient of these two coils.

Homework Equations

##k=\frac{ |L_{12}| }{\sqrt{L_1 L_2}}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In case when there's no current in the second coil and there is constant current in the second coil then there's no magnetic induction vector coming from the second coil so only flux second coil has is flux coming from the first coil ##Ф_{12}=N_2L_{12}I_{1}##, while flux in the first coil is the flux coming from it's own magnetic induction vector (it's own current) and it's value is ##Ф_1=N_1L_1I_1##.

Since these two are equal it means that ##N_2L_{12}I_{1}=N_1L_1I_1 \Rightarrow N_2L_{12}=N_1L_1 \Rightarrow L_{12}=\frac{N_1L_1}{N_2}##

But i don't know how to find ##k=\frac{|L_{12}|}{\sqrt{L_1 L_2}}## because this tells me nothing about ##L_2##. Anyone knows what can i do here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this require you to use the formula for inductance of a solenoid having area, length, and number of turns?

What is the definition of k really? It's not basically M/√(L1⋅L2) although here the relation happens to be correct.
Define k in terms of the flux generated in coil 1 for a given current I, and the flux coupling into coil 2. The problem tells you the answer! Then compute k.

NascentOxygen said:
Does this require you to use the formula for inductance of a solenoid having area, length, and number of turns?

No, there's no special requirements, it only says that i should determine k.

NascentOxygen said:

There's no any other requirements, it just says to find k.

rude man said:
What is the definition of k really? It's not basically M/√(L1⋅L2) although here the relation happens to be correct.
Define k in terms of the flux generated in coil 1 for a given current I, and the flux coupling into coil 2. The problem tells you the answer! Then compute k.
flux in the first coil is ##Ф_1=N_1L_1I_1## and flux in second coil is ##Ф_2=N_2L_{12}I_1## but how can i represent k in terms of these values?

cdummie said:
flux in the first coil is ##Ф_1=N_1L_1I_1## and flux in second coil is ##Ф_2=N_2L_{12}I_1## but how can i represent k in terms of these values?
You don't.
There is a much more basic definition of k. Hint: all you need is Φ11 and Φ21. Forget the L's, I's. and N's.

Φ11 is the flux generated by coil 1 coupling into coil 1, Φ21 is the flux generated by coil 1 coupling into coil 2. What does the problem say about those two quantities?

After re-reading the problem I see it's an incomplete statement. You could conceivably have coil1 coupling fully into coil 2 without coil 2 coupling fully into coil 1. However, I'm guessing they meant that both coils couple into each other 100%. Otherwise there are really two coupling coefficients and the problem would be unsolvable.

rude man said:
You don't.
There is a much more basic definition of k. Hint: all you need is Φ11 and Φ21. Forget the L's, I's. and N's.

Φ11 is the flux generated by coil 1 coupling into coil 1, Φ21 is the flux generated by coil 1 coupling into coil 2. What does the problem say about those two quantities?

I've tried to find that more basic definition of k in my books and notes, but i couldn't, but i found something that can be related to this problem, i found out that if whole flux through first coil goes through second coil (through it's cross section to be precise) that then we have perfect coupling. If this is correct, it means that in this case, k=1,but , is there any way i could algebraically prove this?

cdummie said:
I've tried to find that more basic definition of k in my books and notes, but i couldn't, but i found something that can be related to this problem, i found out that if whole flux through first coil goes through second coil (through it's cross section to be precise) that then we have perfect coupling. If this is correct, it means that in this case, k=1,but , is there any way i could algebraically prove this?
This is the correct answer. You can't prove what is defined! k = fraction of flux generated by coil 1 coupled into coil 2.

You should be aware that you can have 100% of the flux from coil 1 coupled into coil 2, but less than 100% from coil 2 to coil 1. I recommend my "Insight" paper discussing this more fully: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/misconceiving-mutual-inductance-coefficients/

Likes cdummie
rude man said:
This is the correct answer. You can't prove what is defined! k = fraction of flux generated by coil 1 coupled into coil 2.

You should be aware that you can have 100% of the flux from coil 1 coupled into coil 2, but less than 100% from coil 2 to coil 1. I recommend my "Insight" paper discussing this more fully: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/misconceiving-mutual-inductance-coefficients/
Thank you for your help. I'll check out that "Insight" paper of yours.

1. What is the purpose of having two coils of wire with the same size and shape?

The purpose of having two coils of wire with the same size and shape is to create an electromagnetic field. When an electric current passes through one of the coils, it creates a magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric current in the other coil. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many modern technologies such as generators and transformers.

2. How do the properties of the two coils affect the strength of the electromagnetic field?

The strength of the electromagnetic field depends on the number of turns in the coils, the amount of current passing through the coils, and the proximity of the two coils. Having two coils with the same size and shape allows for the maximum amount of interaction between the coils, resulting in a stronger electromagnetic field.

3. Can the two coils be made of different materials?

Yes, the two coils can be made of different materials. However, the material used to make the coils can affect the strength and efficiency of the electromagnetic field. Materials with high electrical conductivity, such as copper, are commonly used to make coils for optimal performance.

4. Is there a limit to the size and shape of the coils in order for electromagnetic induction to occur?

There is no specific limit to the size and shape of the coils, as long as they are able to generate a magnetic field and have a close enough proximity to each other. However, larger and more complex coils may require more energy to produce a stronger electromagnetic field.

5. Can the two coils be placed at any distance from each other?

The two coils should be placed at a relatively close distance from each other in order for electromagnetic induction to occur. The strength of the electromagnetic field decreases as the distance between the coils increases. Therefore, the closer the coils are, the stronger the induced current will be.