Two conducting balls hanging from the same point

In summary, the problem involves finding the charge (q) of two identical balls with a mass of 20 g and hanging from nonconducting threads of length 100 cm. Using the equations Tcosθ = mg and Tsinθ = (kq^2)/x^2, the classmate suggests solving for tangent and then using the equation x/(2L) = (kq^2)/(mgx^2) to solve for q. It is important to note that the tension force (T) and angle (θ) are necessary components in this solution. Additionally, converting units to SI units (meters and kilograms) is recommended.
rlc

Homework Statement

upload_2015-1-22_16-3-18.png

In the figure, two conducting balls of identical mass m = 20 g and identical charge q hang from nonconducting threads of length L = 100 cm. If x = 5.9 cm, what is q? Since x is much smaller than L approximate sin(θ) by θ.

Homework Equations

1. Tcos theta = mg
    Tsin theta = ((kq^2)/x^2)
    (x/(2L) = (kq^2)/(mgx^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

Tcos theta = mg
Tsin theta = ((kq^2)/x^2)
Tan theta = sin theta/cos theta
solve for tangent
then solve for q

This is what a classmate of mine posted as a way to solve the problem, but it hasn't been working for me. Does this look like the right method? What does the T before cos and sin mean?
Is it necessary to calculate theta, by sin(theta)=(0.059m/2)/(1 m) ...theta=1.69 deg ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Three forces work on each of the balls. If you draw them for one of the two you see what your classmate is doing.
You recognize mg and I suppose you also recognize ##kq^2\over x^2##. The balss can only hang still if the threads compensate both of these at the same time. T stands for tension: a thread pulls in a direction along the thread. That's all it can do! Grab one and play with it to confirm.

By the way, in math and in physics angles are measured in radians. For ##0<\alpha<\pi/2## you have ##\sin\alpha < \alpha<\tan\alpha## and for small ##\alpha## one can show ##\sin\alpha \approx\alpha\approx\tan\alpha## (try it on a calulator with radians)

Last edited:
Is the tension force something I can calculate from the problem?

rlc said:
Is the tension force something I can calculate from the problem?
Well, if you wrote Tcos theta = mg you have already answered that !

Oh, so for that equation, I should solve for T. Then use that T in the next equation, leaving q as the only variable!
I'll fix my numbers for theta to make them radians.

then solve for q

Classmate passes ! No need for T, no need for theta.

Likes rlc
Question about SI units: do I need to convert x and L into meters, mass into kg?

Is very good practice. For x/2L you can check that m/m gives the same result as cm/cm. You'll understand why, I hope ?

But the dimension of k forces you to use kg and m to get Coulomb.

ke = 8.9875517873681764×109 N·m2/C2

1 N = 1 kg m/s2

Likes rlc
(x/2L) = (kq^2)/(mgx^2)
(5.9 cm/(2*100 cm) = (9E9)q^2/( (0.020 kg)(9.81 m/s)(0.059 m)^2)
0.0295=(1.3178E13)q^2
2.2386E-15=q^2
q=4.73E-8 C

Does this look right to you? I'm on my last chance to input an answer :(

I just tried it and it worked!
Thank you so much for helping me. I really appreciate it.

Good work!

I'm confused. we say tan theta = x/2L, or opposite/adjacent = x/2L. It makes sense that the opposite side is x/2, but that would leave the adjacent side as L, but we've already said the hypotenuse was L.

Am I messing something up?

Hello Iason, :welcome:
Pretty old thread you are now resuming! Why not start a new one ?
To answer your question: You are not messing up at all, but if you are entitled to use ##\theta## for ##\sin\theta##, then you are also entitled to use ##\theta## for ##\tan\theta## (##\cos\theta=1##).

So: what you say is correct, but for small angles it's OK. (You could check -- not by solving the trigonometric equation, but by comparing ##\arctan(0.059)## with ##\arcsin(0.059)##.

And compare the situation if ##\theta = {\pi\over 4}## :smile:

BvU said:
Hello Iason, :welcome:
Pretty old thread you are now resuming! Why not start a new one ?
To answer your question: You are not messing up at all, but if you are entitled to use ##\theta## for ##\sin\theta##, then you are also entitled to use ##\theta## for ##\tan\theta## (##\cos\theta=1##).

So: what you say is correct, but for small angles it's OK. (You could check -- not by solving the trigonometric equation, but by comparing ##\arctan(0.059)## with ##\arcsin(0.059)##.

And compare the situation if ##\theta = {\pi\over 4}## :smile:
Thank BvU!
Sorry, I'm new here and joined because I had a problem similar to this (different given conditions) and stumbled across this while trying to solve it. Thank you! That makes sense.
I don't think I can use that in my situation, but it was good to see!

What is the concept of two conducting balls hanging from the same point?

The concept refers to a simple demonstration of electrostatics, where two conducting balls are suspended from a common point and are able to move freely. This setup allows for the observation of electrostatic forces and their effects on the movement of the balls.

How do the balls interact with each other?

The balls interact with each other through the transfer of electric charges. When one ball is charged, it will repel or attract the other ball based on their respective charges. This interaction is governed by Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two charged objects.

What factors affect the movement of the balls?

The movement of the balls is affected by the amount and type of charge on each ball, as well as the distance between them. The strength of the electrostatic force between the balls increases with the amount of charge and decreases with the distance between them.

Can the setup be used to demonstrate other concepts in electrostatics?

Yes, this setup can be used to demonstrate other concepts such as electric potential, capacitance, and electric fields. By varying the charges on the balls and the distance between them, different effects can be observed and analyzed.

What are the real-life applications of this concept?

The concept of two conducting balls hanging from the same point has practical applications in the design and function of various electrical devices, such as capacitors, generators, and antennas. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electric charges and the principles of electrostatics.