Two coplanar lines and finding the equation

• Thread starter gundamshadow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary, the problem asks to find the equation for a line b that is perpendicular to line a and passes through a given point. The equation for b can be found using the cross product and dot product of vectors in the plane, which can be formed from the given points.
gundamshadow

Homework Statement

Two coplanar lines, a and b are perpendicular to each other. a passes through the points (3,2,3) and (8,10,6). Find the equation for b if it passes through the point (7,49,25).

Homework Equations

The equation were trying to find is r = [x,y,z] + s [x1,y1,z1] + t [x2,y2,z2]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically since the coordinates are perpendicular I used the cross product to find one direction vector. For my position vector I used (3,2,3). Now I'm not sure what to do with the last point (7,49,25) or what to do to find my second direction vector. I'm not even sure if I did the first part right. Help would be appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
gundamshadow said:

Homework Statement

Two coplanar lines, a and b are perpendicular to each other. a passes through the points (3,2,3) and (8,10,6). Find the equation for b if it passes through the point (7,49,25).

Homework Equations

The equation were trying to find is r = [x,y,z] + s [x1,y1,z1] + t [x2,y2,z2]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically since the coordinates are perpendicular I used the cross product to find one direction vector. For my position vector I used (3,2,3). Now I'm not sure what to do with the last point (7,49,25) or what to do to find my second direction vector. I'm not even sure if I did the first part right. Help would be appreciated thanks!

Hi gundamshadow, Welcome to PF.

Your question, being mathematical in nature, would probably fair better in the Precalculus forum. But I can give you a hint or two here :smile:

The lines involved are said to be coplanar, and that plane must have a normal. A plane's normal has some nice properties involving vectors in the plane and cross and dot products. You might want to look into that :wink:

You might start by finding any two vectors in the plane from the given points...

What are coplanar lines?

Coplanar lines are lines that lie in the same plane, meaning they are parallel or intersect at some point.

How do you determine if two lines are coplanar?

If two lines have the same slope and y-intercept, they are coplanar. If they have different slopes, they are not coplanar.

What is the equation for a coplanar line?

The equation for a coplanar line is in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

How do you find the equation of a coplanar line?

To find the equation of a coplanar line, you need to know the slope and y-intercept. You can determine the slope by finding the change in y over the change in x, and the y-intercept is where the line crosses the y-axis.

Can two coplanar lines be perpendicular?

Yes, two coplanar lines can be perpendicular if their slopes are negative reciprocals of each other. This means that one line has a slope of m and the other has a slope of -1/m.