1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two coplanar lines and finding the equation

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two coplanar lines, a and b are perpendicular to each other. a passes through the points (3,2,3) and (8,10,6). Find the equation for b if it passes through the point (7,49,25).

2. Relevant equations
    The equation were trying to find is r = [x,y,z] + s [x1,y1,z1] + t [x2,y2,z2]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically since the coordinates are perpendicular I used the cross product to find one direction vector. For my position vector I used (3,2,3). Now I'm not sure what to do with the last point (7,49,25) or what to do to find my second direction vector. I'm not even sure if I did the first part right. Help would be appreciated thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi gundamshadow, Welcome to PF.

Your question, being mathematical in nature, would probably fair better in the Precalculus forum. But I can give you a hint or two here :smile:

The lines involved are said to be coplanar, and that plane must have a normal. A plane's normal has some nice properties involving vectors in the plane and cross and dot products. You might want to look into that :wink:

You might start by finding any two vectors in the plane from the given points...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook