1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two coplanar lines and finding the equation

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two coplanar lines, a and b are perpendicular to each other. a passes through the points (3,2,3) and (8,10,6). Find the equation for b if it passes through the point (7,49,25).

2. Relevant equations
    The equation were trying to find is r = [x,y,z] + s [x1,y1,z1] + t [x2,y2,z2]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically since the coordinates are perpendicular I used the cross product to find one direction vector. For my position vector I used (3,2,3). Now I'm not sure what to do with the last point (7,49,25) or what to do to find my second direction vector. I'm not even sure if I did the first part right. Help would be appreciated thanks!

EDIT: I originally posted this in a different section but somebody told me it'd be better if I post it here. So if a mod could remove the other thread in the physics section that'd be awesome.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi gundamshadow! welcome to pf! :smile:

have you drawn this?

you have three known points, B C and D, and you want the line through B perpendicular to CD :wink:

4. Mar 16, 2012 #3
    Thank you for the welcome :)

So I'm assuming B is (3,2,3) and C is (8,10,6) etc.
    In that case how would I go about finding direction vectors if they're perpendicular? Is it a combination of cross product of B and C?

EDIT: Also the term coplanar, does that mean the vectors in the equation have to be a multiple?

5. Mar 16, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

come on! :rolleyes:

it's a simple triangle question! :smile:

(you can use parallel lines, and cross products :wink:)

(coplanar means in the same plane … any vector in it will be a linear sum of any two distinct vectors in it)

6. Mar 16, 2012 #5
    I`m sorry Im really lost now. I subtracted (3,2,3) and (8,10,6) and got (5,8,3). So that is my position vector I hope.

So as it stands the equation is r= (5,8,3) + s (xyz) + t (xyz)

How do I get the other coordinates for vector s and t

7. Mar 16, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi gundamshadow! :smile:
    yes, that's the direction of your line CD

so what is the line through B parallel to that?

8. Mar 16, 2012 #7
    I thought that was the position vectorÉ And if its parallel does that mean that CD dot product by (7,49,25) will be zeroÉ

9. Mar 16, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you've lost me :confused:

what is the line through B parallel to CD?

10. Mar 16, 2012 #9
    Im kinda lost too. And I got (0,-3,8)

11. Mar 16, 2012 #10
    EDIT: Realised bumping not allowed. Please delete post. Sorry!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook