Two curves with two shared tangents

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the problem states that two equations have two shared tangent lines between them. The first step is to find what is needed for two curves to share a single tangent line: the slopes at two different x-values must be the same. The general equation for the tangent of a line f(x) at x to be f'(x)k-xf'(x)+f(x) can be solved with substitution for x in the final equation. However, after solving for x and substituting into the equations, there is no solution. It is easier to approach it from the perspective of the number of solutions of g(x) - L(x)
KingNothing
I'm stuck on this problem. I am hoping someone can walk me through it or get me past my choking point. The problem states:

Two equations have two shared tangent lines between them. Find the equations of these tangent lines analytically.

[tex]g(x)=x^2[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=-x^2+6x-5[/tex]

The first step I took was to define what is needed for two curves to share a single tangent line:

-[tex]g'(x_0)=f'(x_1)[/tex] slopes at two different x-values must be the same
-the tangent line to [tex](x_0,y_0)[/tex] must pass through the point [tex](x_1,y_1)[/tex] on the other curve with the same slope

I found the general equation for the tangent of a line [tex]f(x)[/tex] at [tex]x[/tex] to be [tex]f'(x)k-xf'(x)+f(x)[/tex] where [tex]k[/tex] is to be substituted for [tex]x[/tex] in the final equation.

I did this with both of the functions in the problem, and set them equal. My final result for this was [tex]4xk-2x^2=6k-5[/tex] Assuming you leave k in there and just try to get the sides looking equal, I got nowhere. After substituting x for k, there is no solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is easier to approach it from the perspective of the number of solutions of g(x) - L(x) = 0 and L(x) - f(x) = 0. If both equations have one solution (which since they are both quadratic means that b^2 - 4ac = 0) then L(x) is tangent to both curves. There are two solutions for m and b of L(x) = mx + b.

Last edited:
Could you go through that approach? I sort of understand your logic, and sort of don't. I don't understand what L(x) is doing when those two equations can be simplified to g(x)-f(x)=0.

L(x) is the equation of the line, L(x) = mx + b for m and b that you are trying to determine.

For example this is what you do for the first equation, g(x) - L(x) = 0
x^2-(mx + b) = 0
x^2 - mx - b = 0
This equation has a unique solution iff m^2 + 4b (the expression under the radical sign in the quadratic formula) = 0. So we have m^2 + 4b = 0, and we can work with L(x) - f(x) = 0 in a similar manner to get another equation involving m and b.

The idea is that if g(x) is tangent to L(x), then g(x) - L(x) has exactly one root (only true because g(x) is quadratic, as it is here). Drawing a picture can make that clear.

You can't simply combine the equations because you are not actually stating that either g(x) - L(x) = 0 or L(x) - f(x) = 0 is true. You are just setting them equal to 0 because you need to find how many roots each has.

Last edited:
0rthodontist said:
L(x) is the equation of the line, L(x) = mx + b for m and b that you are trying to determine.

For example this is what you do for the first equation, g(x) - L(x) = 0
x^2-(mx + b) = 0
x^2 - mx - b = 0
This equation has a unique solution iff m^2 + 4b (the expression under the radical sign in the quadratic formula) = 0. So we have m^2 + 4b = 0, and we can work with L(x) - f(x) = 0 in a similar manner to get another equation involving m and b.

The idea is that if g(x) is tangent to L(x), then g(x) - L(x) has exactly one root (only true because g(x) is quadratic, as it is here). Drawing a picture can make that clear.

You can't simply combine the equations because you are not actually stating that either g(x) - L(x) = 0 or L(x) - f(x) = 0 is true. You are just setting them equal to 0 because you need to find how many roots each has.
What's that for? One can differentiate f(x) with respect to x to get f'(x) = 2x, then use the tangent line equation at (x0, y0):
y - y0 = f'(x0)(x - x0), to arrive at the equation:
y = 2x0(x - x0) + y0 = 2x0x - 2x02 + x02 = 2x0x - x02.
-----------------------
You can also approach it from this way:
Say P(x0, y0), P is on the graph of f(x), and Q(x1, y1), Q is on the graph of g(x) share the same tangent line.
So it means that:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} f'(x_0) = g'(x_1) \\ \frac{y_0 - y_1}{x_0 - x_1} = f'(x_0) \end{array} \right.[/tex]
Can you see why? Can you go from here? :)

No, I don't think I can. But that seems to make a lot more sense than the L(x) stuff.

I still don't see how to solve either of those methods. The first method you described is essentially what I have been trying for. The tangent equation for f(x) (the one you described was actually g(x)) ends up being [tex]y-y_1=f'(x_1)(x-x_1)[/tex] or [tex]y=(-2x_1+6)(x-x_1)+y_1[/tex] Can you check that?

Even once that's done, I still don't understand how to solve for distinct tangent lines.

Last edited:
KingNothing said:
No, I don't think I can. But that seems to make a lot more sense than the L(x) stuff.

I still don't see how to solve either of those methods. The first method you described is essentially what I have been trying for. The tangent equation for f(x) (the one you described was actually g(x)) ends up being [tex]y-y_1=f'(x_1)(x-x_1)[/tex] or [tex]y=(-2x_1+6)(x-x_1)+y_1[/tex] Can you check that?

Even once that's done, I still don't understand how to solve for distinct tangent lines.
It can be simplified to:
[tex]y = (-2x_1 + 6) (x - x_1) + y_1 = -2x_1 x + 2x_1 ^ 2 + 6x - 6x_1 - x_1 ^ 2 + 6x_1 - 5 = (-2x_1 + 6) x + x_1 ^ 2 - 5[/tex]
By the way, the equation f'(x0) = g'(x1) means that the tangent line of f(x) at x0, and the tangent line of g(x) at x1 are parallel. Do you know why?
The next equation:
[tex]\frac{y_1 - y_0}{x_1 - x_0} = f'(x_0)[/tex] is to assure that Q is on the tangent line of f(x) at x0, and P is on the tangent line of g(x) at x1. Or in other words, PQ is the tangent line of f(x) and g(x) at x0, and x1 respectively.
I'll start of for you:
f'(x0) = g'(x1)
<=> -2x0 + 6 = 2x1
<=> x0 = 3 - x1
Now this means that the tangent line of g(x) at x1 is parallel to the tangent line of f(x) at 3 - x1. Do you see why?
Now you can substitute that to the equation:
[tex]\frac{y_1 - y_0}{x_1 - x_0} = f'(x_0)[/tex], and solve for x1. What's y1 in terms of x1, what's y0 in terms of x0? Note that P, and Q are on the graph of f(x), and g(x) respectively. Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
VietDao29 said:
What's that for?
Didn't I just explain it to KingNothing? It is a faster and simpler technique in this situation than using calculus. Again, the idea is, the following two statements are equivalent when f(x) is quadratic and L(x) is a line:
"L(x) is tangent to f(x)"
"f(x) - L(x) has exactly one root"

Last edited:
0rthodontist said:
Didn't I just explain it to KingNothing? It is a faster and simpler technique in this situation than using calculus. Again, the idea is, the following two statements are equivalent when f(x) is quadratic:
"The line L(x) is tangent to the quadratic function f(x)"
"f(x) - L(x) has exactly one root"
So I'll get m2 = -4b for L(x). Now I define K(x) in the same manner that's the tangent line to f(x), K(x) = lx + u. Then I'll get:
(6 + l)2 = 20 - 4u. Then how can I go from there?
Am I missing something?

It has to be the same line that is tangent to both quadratics. L(x) = mx+b for both quadratics. The other equation you get is 16-12m+m^2-4b = 0

0rthodontist said:
It has to be the same line that is tangent to both quadratics. L(x) = mx+b for both quadratics. The other equation you get is 16-12m+m^2-4b = 0
Yes, it's simplier than my way. :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing that out. :)
KingNothing, now you have 2 ways to tackle this problem. Both are good, I think. Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of two curves with two shared tangents?

Two curves with two shared tangents refer to two separate curves that intersect at two points and have two common lines that are tangent to both curves at those points.

2. How can you determine if two curves have two shared tangents?

To determine if two curves have two shared tangents, you can graph the curves and see if they intersect at two points and if there are two lines tangent to both curves at those points. Alternatively, you can also use the equations of the curves to solve for the points of intersection and the slopes of the tangents at those points.

3. What is the significance of two curves with two shared tangents?

Two curves with two shared tangents have a special relationship because they share two common tangents. This means that the curves are closely related and their behaviors at the points of intersection are similar.

4. Can two curves have more than two shared tangents?

Yes, it is possible for two curves to have more than two shared tangents. This occurs when the curves intersect at multiple points and there are multiple lines tangent to both curves at each of those points.

5. How are two curves with two shared tangents used in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, two curves with two shared tangents can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as the motion of objects or the growth of populations. They can also be used in engineering and design to determine the optimal shape for objects, such as airplane wings or roller coaster tracks.