Two different velocity variables in relativistic momentum?

In summary: I've attached a couple of Microsoft Word files (the second is a continuation of the first). The idea is to give you a presentation that includes space-time diagram graphics to help keep track of the vector components. In this display I've used two observers moving with the same speed in opposite directions with respect to a rest system. By doing this the distances can be directly compared without worrying about hyperbolic proper time curves.Hi,The four velocity is the tangent to the world line, expressedu^\alpha =\frac{d x^\alpha}{d\tau}where \tau is the proper time. This decomposes asu^\alpha
SamRoss
Gold Member
For the relativistic momentum

p=(1/[1-u^2/c^2])mv

does u always equal v or does u refer to the speed of the reference frame and v refer to the speed of the object?

Physics news on Phys.org
SamRoss said:
For the relativistic momentum

p=(1/[1-u^2/c^2])mv

does u always equal v or does u refer to the speed of the reference frame and v refer to the speed of the object?

Where does this come from? There is only one velocity involved in this formula. I could guess and say some author is using u for speed (magnitude of velocity) and v for the velocity vector. If so, it is correct and self explanatory.

The separation of the single velocity variable into two variables came from me trying to fill in some logical gaps in some derivations I was looking at and I guess I didn't do such a great job.

My real problem is this. I want to find a simple derivation of relativistic momentum that does NOT involve the ambiguous relativistic mass quantity. Every supposed derivation that I look at turns out really to be a derivation of relativistic mass and I have come to understand that this is a dangerous concept. Do you know of any simple derivations of relativistic momentum using only invariant mass?

samross said:
the separation of the single velocity variable into two variables came from me trying to fill in some logical gaps in some derivations i was looking at and i guess i didn't do such a great job.

My real problem is this. I want to find a simple derivation of relativistic momentum that does not involve the ambiguous relativistic mass quantity. Every supposed derivation that i look at turns out really to be a derivation of relativistic mass and i have come to understand that this is a dangerous concept. Do you know of any simple derivations of relativistic momentum using only invariant mass?

samross, I've attached a couple of Microsoft Word files (the second is a continuation of the first). The idea is to give you a presentation that includes space-time diagram graphics to help keep track of the vector components. In this display I've used two observers moving with the same speed in opposite directions with respect to a rest system. By doing this the distances can be directly compared without worrying about hyperbolic proper time curves.

View attachment Four_Momentum1_Forum.doc

View attachment Four_Momentum2_Forum.doc

Hi,

The four velocity is the tangent to the world line, expressed
[tex]
u^\alpha =\frac{d x^\alpha}{d\tau}
[/tex]
where [itex]\tau[/itex] is the proper time. This decomposes as
[tex]
u^\alpha =(\gamma,\gamma \, \vec{v})
[/tex]
Momentum is defined as
[tex]
p^\alpha =mu^\alpha
[/tex]
Here [itex]m[/itex] is the body's rest-mass.

Thanks for the quick reply. The Minkowski method has always been a bit less intuitive for me than the kinematic equations themselves but I am trying to understand the document. In the meantime I've posted a related topic titled Help with Relativistic Collision. I feel that somewhere in those collision thought experiments is a line of reasoning that's at my level. Thanks again.

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that describes the momentum of an object moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the energy and momentum of an object are not independent, but are related by the speed of light.

2. What are the two velocity variables in relativistic momentum?

The two velocity variables in relativistic momentum are the velocity of the object and the speed of light. The velocity of the object is the speed at which it is moving, while the speed of light is a constant, denoted by the symbol c, which represents the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe.

3. How are the two velocity variables related in relativistic momentum?

In relativistic momentum, the two velocity variables are related by the Lorentz factor, which is a mathematical factor that takes into account the effects of special relativity. The Lorentz factor is equal to 1 divided by the square root of 1 minus the ratio of the object's velocity squared to the speed of light squared.

4. Why are two velocity variables needed in relativistic momentum?

Two velocity variables are needed in relativistic momentum because regular momentum, which is defined as mass times velocity, does not accurately describe the momentum of objects moving at high speeds. The addition of the Lorentz factor and the speed of light into the equation allows for a more accurate and complete understanding of momentum in these situations.

5. How does relativistic momentum differ from classical momentum?

Relativistic momentum differs from classical momentum in that it takes into account the effects of special relativity, while classical momentum does not. This means that relativistic momentum is more accurate and applicable in situations where objects are moving at high speeds, close to the speed of light.