Two identical springs with spring constant k and with two Identical masses m

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
big_zipp
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I am trying to figure out what the kinetic and potential energy of this system. A spring is attached to point A, a mass m hangs from the other end of the spring. Another spring hangs from the first mass, and another mass hangs from the second spring. There is no motion in the horizontal direction. The non stretched spring's length is b.

I'm just looking to find the kinetic and potential energy.

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
big_zipp said:
I am trying to figure out what the kinetic and potential energy of this system. A spring is attached to point A, a mass m hangs from the other end of the spring. Another spring hangs from the first mass, and another mass hangs from the second spring. There is no motion in the horizontal direction. The non stretched spring's length is b.

I'm just looking to find the kinetic and potential energy.

Thank you

What are your thoughts? What are the Relevant Equations? Why would there be kinetic energy involved -- it sounds like the system is in motionless equilibrium?