1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two infinite lines of current in the same direction

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    I heard this question from my TA and was not satisfied with the answer. Can someone elaborate for me please?

There are two infinite lines of current that are traveling in the same direction. By the right hand rule and ampere's law, we can calculate the magnetic field and calculate the F of one line on the other.

The forces are pointed toward each other, so they will get closer and closer.

A coaxial line can be modeled as many infinite lines of current bundled together. How come the wires do not close themselves in and therefore the current should be concentrated within the center of the coaxial wire.

If we were to send an AC voltage down the line, there should be only surface current, yet our previous analysis indicates that the lines should be pulled closer to each other therefore concentrating the current in the center of the coaxial wire.

Any explanation will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, there is the mutual repulsion of like charges ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted